Not a pretty forage cap but I love it!

I've been hoping to someday add a forage cap to my collection. The prices are normally out of my budget range. Until I saw this I figured it would take a good bit of time before I could even consider a purchase. It's obviously not in the best condition but I feel that it displays well and had some added features (brass ventilator, company letter and number, missing one number) that add interest. The price was in a range that got my attention and with a kind discount it became doable for me.

I understand that it can be acceptable to restore CW items if they're in very bad shape. I don't plan on doing that. It's all original and I believe I'll keep it that way.

This is what some refer to as the 1858 "type I" forage cap with the smaller 5 1/4" disk and curved leather bill. I added (and have since aged to match the caps worn look) a repro chinstrap for display. Thanks for looking and any comments/insights are welcome. A bunch of photos to follow.

Frank

post-2899-0-51405700-1439993733.jpg

I agree with Bagman.

Always great to add something to your collection from the "have to have" list.

The cap may not be the prettiest date at the dance but u ts a solid example and has the devices too.Considering its age and that it survived is a small miracle.

I have never been a purist as far as condition and often buy something as an example when I see it and feel I can always up grade down the road.

Congratulations on your addition.

Bagman and Doyler thank you for the comments! It is a thrill to look over at our collections and see these pieces displayed. It really adds to the experience of reading and studying the history of these time periods. I am also not a purist and consider upgrading as always a possibility.

Frank

I like the ventilator!

I think it's a cool addition that you don't see as often. I've read that reenactors using those devices say it really works well.

daniel griffin

This forage cap originated in a prominent Illinois collection that was broken up last fall, over 50 Civil War caps. This was the only forage cap with an original ventilator that the collector was able to find in his 40 years of collecting.

This forage cap originated in a prominent Illinois collection that was broken up last fall, over 50 Civil War caps. This was the only forage cap with an original ventilator that the collector was able to find in his 40 years of collecting.

I found out about that Illinois collection (amazing collection!) after I had bought the cap. I was searching online when I saw a photo of a cap that looked like mine. That's interesting to know about it being the only one with a ventilator that he ever found. I've seen photos of them online or in books.

Thanks,

Frank

$;&@!?$@!! Moths![/quote

If it wasn't for the moths I wouldn't have been able to afford this!!!!