USMC 1875 Shako Shield w/EGA

b_hinch

Thought I would repost this as I would appreciate any info as to what type of helmet these painted devices may have originally been affixed to. Posted this a couple of days ago but appears to have been removed.

post-8602-0-75736200-1439607465.jpg

Hello, this front plate went on a M1875 US Marine shako. Of course without the red and blue paint. Bannerman or Stokes Kirks, I can't remeber which, had original front plates and they painted them. They would then place them on wooden plaques to help them sell better. Regardless 100% original and a nice buy, I was bidding on it on eBay. Message me if you would like for me to email you photos of my shako.

Thanks for the help 2/4! I think I could hear crickets chirping after I posted this! I think the paint was throwing me off as I assumed it was done for the period. Your answer makes much more sense! I PM'd you my email.

Thought I replied to this

The prongs on the shield are likely replacements, these were generally given the same loops as the emblem.

The emblem is a scarcer variant for these shields, a bit uglier than the rest when you really looks at the wings of the bird

The shield and EGA are original stock most likely part of Bannerman's surplus sales. The EGA is the scarcer variety. The red and blue paint on these is old, always shows good age, like at least 100 years. I dont think the painted ones were ever worn by Marines. I speculate that they were done this way for the millennium (1900) celebration or sold by Bannerman's this way because it was simply more colorful and patriotic looking. The 4 loop style prongs have been removed and the two single prongs were added, probably around the same time as the paint. I like these painted shields because they were done from original stock. Done before they started cranking out them out off the original dies once the military surplus ran out (again another speculation, but the shear number of shields and prongbacked EGAs attest to this).

Mike