Work Bench Question

Mark M

I was wondering out of curiosity how many members are still active in modeling? I love seeing everyones finished products but would be interested in seeing how you get your kits to that point. Would anyone be willing to do a workbench project for the forum? Maybe a start to finish on how they are making their kits with some tips/pointers on how they build and finish them?

Please note:

1). If there is enough positive response to this inquiry I will try to start a workbench section where these "works in progress" can be posted for all to view and learn. Don't add them to this thread, or let me know if you would support such a project.

2). Please remember that this is the US Militaria Forum and all subject matter for any postings must be US related.

Thanks,

Mark

I'll second that.

I haven't bashed a kit in many years & have been thinking of gearing up to do a few this fall/winter. If anyone can recommend how to do waterline dio's, i'd like to do a surfaced sub. Also any "modern" tips on airbrushing would be of help. I haven't sprayed in at least 10 years.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have been modeling since I was about 12 years old... I'm 47 now. Moving for the military has taken its toll on most of my finished stuff... but I'd be willing to so a workbench review of one of my builds. I build mostly armor, some aircraft... and figures are always fun. I'll try to keep track of my next project and post it in the forum as it goes along...

Wayne

Sign me up. I can start right now. I have a few dioramas, some posted already that have photos from start to finish.

I also suggest that a short right up on how and what you did. An if you can remember, what kits, scratch built etc include these to. It might give others some tips and ideas.

Question should it be just limited to US Military, or can it include say cars?

ed

I was wondering out of curiosity how many members are still active in modeling? I love seeing everyones finished products but would be interested in seeing how you get your kits to that point. Would anyone be willing to do a workbench project for the forum? Maybe a start to finish on how they are making their kits with some tips/pointers on how they build and finish them?

Please note:

1). If there is enough positive response to this inquiry I will try to start a workbench section where these "works in progress" can be posted for all to view and learn. Don't add them to this thread, or let me know if you would support such a project.

2). Please remember that this is the US Militaria Forum and all subject matter for any postings must be US related.

Thanks,

Mark

I suppose as long as it was one of the military sponsored NASCAR race cars.... LOL

OK, there seems to be some support behind doing this so here is what I can do. Anyone wanting to do a "work bench" project from start to finish should include "work bench" in the title and I will pin the topic at the top of the models board. This way it will stay at the top and not be subject to moving down the board as other topics are posted. Once the project is finished and everyone has a chance to view it I will unpin it and put it back into the regular model section. If we get a lot of support for this Admin said they would talk about a subforum but that would be pretty far down the road.

Please remember that there are some inexperienced modelers watching. No need for warning labels about knives and such but what I would love to see is some of the tricks everyone uses for assembly, finishing the kits, weathering, displaying or whatever else you do to make the finished project unique.

So any volunteers to do the first project?

Remember, only US related projects please!

Regards,

Mark

I just retired and finished a move from Texas to Ohio and am in the process of setting up my model room/workbench area. I'd like to be one of the first anyway, as soon as I get things striaght here.

Wayne

I just retired and finished a move from Texas to Ohio and am in the process of setting up my model room/workbench area. I'd like to be one of the first anyway, as soon as I get things striaght here.

Wayne

Wayne

Sounds great and thanks for volunteering! I will look forward to your posting.

I also forgot to mention that when you are doing your work bench if you could also indicate what paints you are using and the color numbers I would appreciate it. Espeically if you are custom mixing your colors!

Regards,

Mark

Can do... I use a mix match of Enamels and Acrylics... mostly Model master, but some Polly Scale Acrylics as well as Tamiya. I'll call out the proper FS numbers when appropriate. On a sad note, I unpacked a box today and found my Prized-Winning D-Day Sherman with wading trunks smashed beyond all recognition... I won a gold at the Pikes Peak AMPS Sherman Shoot out in 2002 with that one... *sighs* If I can find a photo of it, I'll scan and post it here.

Wayne