Took a chance on an estate sale BIN lot.

Eric Queen

I saw this lot the other day for a BIN price on eBay. This was the only pic (of these photos)

Crappy pic but sure looked like a studio 8 x 10 of a paratrooper wearing an M42 to me.

So I took a chance.

$_57.JPG

Now, trying to figure out who it is. I noticed that the studio frame was from Sweetwater, TX. I then found this card named to a man Ollie Gene Dismuke from Sweetwater.

d4.jpg

The article says "2nd Paratrooper Division" but must mean 82nd. He must have been part of the 505 PIR if he took part in Husky (Sicily, July 9, 43) and Salerno, Sep 13, 43. Not sure what the article means by 2 jumps in Sicily.

4.jpeg

One of the sadder parts of the little group are the "return to sender" letters (from his sister Doll Taylor) marked "deceased"

d5.jpg

In all of his sisters letters she talks about her son Tommy. Here is Tommy 15 years later.

RIP Paratrooper

tt0002.jpg

Great grouping. Thanks for sharing. Drove through Sweetwater a few days ago. They grow them up tough out there. RIP Soldier.

Thanks, Al

The article is from October 1944 and it says he just got his jump wings two weeks ago. How does this reconcile with jumping in Sicily/Italy in 1943?

we.jpg

The article says he was in the 16th armored division and this photo would tend to corroborate that fact.

fff0002.jpg