Excerpts from a WWII soldier's letter in Italy

Vincennes

I picked up a big collection of paper items relating to T Sgt. Leonard E Clark of the 179th Inf. Regt. of the 45th Inf. Division in WWII. He was a Combat Infantryman with the MOS of 640 (Radio Operator). It includes about 110 letters and V-mails (to and from, some illustrated), some General Orders, Discharge papers, 3 Thunderbird shoulder patches , 4 T Sgt stripes, 3 New Testaments (one with the notation that it was carried across Sicily, Italy, France and Germany), 2 coded messages, 3 issues of "Scuttlebutt", a Christmas menu, the book: "45th. Infantry Division", and more.

I posted the coded message a couple days ago in this forum (no one has decoded them yet). Here are some excerpts from one of the letters.

“April 26, 1944

Italy.

…I was over on the radio on the other end of the line dodging 88 fire from a couple of German tanks. That is why I had to go to the hospital a few days later, you see I had to take protection in a ditch along the side of the road and it had water in it and it was cold besides. They only threw about six shells at us but at intervals, one at a time every fifteen or twenty minutes. The tanks were far enough away that we could hear the shells whistle before they got there. That’s when we would take to the ditch. I was far enough away but not as far as I would like. I took cold after that and got fever so they sent me to the hospital where there were both shells & bombs. Of course if one is wounded or real sick you are taken to a hospital in the safe part of Italy as soon as possible.

……..

…Some of us were given the “Combat Infantryman” badge this evening. Quite a few of us got them. They are supposed to be for valuable and exemplary service during enemy action. It is really about the first medal of recognition that an ordinary soldier can get. … It is unfortunate that all the boys didn’t get the combat medal, they all deserve something. Of course it is easier to get than most but is something to be proud of anyway.”

He was awarded the Combat Infantryman badge on 24 April, 1944. He was also awarded the Bronze Star Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster, and the European-African-Middle East Campaign Medal with three Bronze Stars, one Silver Star and an Arrowhead.

Paul

• 1 year later...
captain kirk

So happy to see this as this is my Uncle Leonard. I tried to get his military records from NARA but unfortunately they were destroyed in the fire.

Is there any way you can post what you have? He was married to Orpha and I'm sure there are letters to her and to my grandma. We would love to see them.

Thank you so very much.

Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk,

Contact me via private message and we will discuss it. To do that click on the soldiers outline on the left to go to my profile page. Then click on "send me a message" in the upper right. Include your email address, so we can communicate.

Paul

captain kirk

When I click it doesn't do anything so can you click on me and give me your email address?

Thank you

Captain Kirk