What Type of WWII Leather Flight Helmet is this?

stratasfan

Hi! Can anyone identify what type of leather flying helmet this young man is wearing? I was trying, but am too new! This photo was taken in 1940.

post-151812-0-33037000-1438960692.jpg

pararaftanr2

Note the buckle on both sides for a chin cup, which is characteristic of the A-8 helmet. The A-9 had a chin strap sewn on the wearer's right side that was fastened by a single buckle on the wearer's left side. Both were made of olive drab gabardine fabric and were considered summer weight helmets.

Cloth!? Wow! I didn't really know they made these in cloth. OK. What would one of these cost? I might have to try saving up for one for my memory box of Uncle Harold. Thanks!

doinworkinvans

The A-8's are more expensive than the A-9s....you could find an A-9 pretty quickly and cheaply on EBAY

A-8s were also used in early Airborne training (Test Platoons), this accounting for some of the inflation in price. At one time fairly plentiful, the Airborne collectors seems to have absorbed quite a few.

So, when was the A-8 in use? I take it the A-9 replaced the A-8.

phantomfixer

your link looks to be a modified A-8, the cut outs by the chin strap, and the O2 mask hooks ...modded for the Oxygen mask I believe...for the A-9 or A-10 mask???

They stated in their add that this is a 1942 flying helmet. I wasn't sure if it would have changed. Although, the Army probably changed numbers if they changed. OK. I just hae to know now . . . how can you tell it is modified? ;o)

I have a "Dragon Toys" GIJoe-type doll that I am going to dress like Uncle Harold. I want to make the flying suit and jacket, etc. I want to try making one of these helmets, so I am interested in what makes the one in the link modified. Thanks!

littlebuddy

I have a "Dragon Toys" GIJoe-type doll that I am going to dress like Uncle Harold. I want to make the flying suit and jacket, etc. I want to try making one of these helmets, so I am interested in what makes the one in the link modified. Thanks!

Welcome to the wonderful world of USAAF collecting !! It can be a bit of a minefield but by asking questions like the one above is exactly the right place to start

LB

phantomfixer

They stated in their add that this is a 1942 flying helmet. I wasn't sure if it would have changed. Although, the Army probably changed numbers if they changed. OK. I just hae to know now . . . how can you tell it is modified? ;o)

by the cutouts above the chinstrap...

northcoastaero

The goggles look to be the USAAC B-7 with two piece eye cushions and black elastic strap. The flight jacket would be the A-2. Also, it appears that he is wearing a silk scarf. Not sure about the flight suit. Maybe an A-4 type? Do you want all original clothing and gear or will quality reproduction items be alright?

OK. This gives me the best opportunity! Were silk scarves regulation issue? Or would it be a civvies thing he got? I was also going to ask about the goggles.

As to clothing, I'm going to make my own, I think. A friend gave me a pair of bomber overalls that her Uncle wore during WWII. They are torn in areas, so I am going to use all the leather on several projects, mainly to make the flying suit and jacket for my doll. I thought it would be cool to use original WWII flying leather.

The flying helmet . . . well, I think it is way too cool and I might need one of those for real. I've got an older ammo box that I am painting Uncle Harold's (he is the young man in the photo) squadron patch on and I am making it a memory box, of sorts. Photos, patches, insignia, etc. that he would have had. A flying helmet like he is wearing might be really cool to have! I never thought there might be a repro.

The goggles look to be the USAAC B-7 with two piece eye cushions and black elastic strap. The flight jacket would be the A-2. Also, it appears that he is wearing a silk scarf. Not sure about the flight suit. Maybe an A-4 type? Do you want all original clothing and gear or will quality reproduction items be alright?

northcoastaero

Good luck with your project! Try the following sources for reproduction items:

whatpriceglory.com for repro B-7 goggles and possibly flying hat. Also flight suit.

garciaaviation.com for the repro silk scarf and possibly flying hat.

uswings.com and planecrazyent.com for repro A-2 jackets.

ebay.com

So, would the silk scarves have had a logo on them? Were they Air Corps issue? I can't seem to find out online.

OK, Pros! Here is another one for you. This is one of the first young man's crewmates. What type of flying helmet is he wearing? Is this one leather?

post-151812-0-38565400-1438987978.jpg

Johnny Signor

Looks to be Leather and also lined with fur like the jacket he's wearing , sorry I'm not a flight helmet guru , but you can tell it's leather for sure ......

phantomfixer

The goggles look to be the USAAC B6's and helmet looks to me to be a civilian leather helmet(?)...looks like this pic is of a AAC cadet, so the helmet could be civvie, as many civilian schools were contratced out to start cranking out aviators for the USAAC

Jacket is the sheepskin B-3

Bluespicker

I was USAF 1973-1977. In Basic Training, we got like one afternoon off for a trip into San Antonio Texas. There were places all over the city that would take your photo for a small fee. This looks very much like one of those creatively staged pictures. I had one taken wearing a blue flight jacket with fur collar which I don't think was USAF issue in 73. The USAF official photo they sent to my hometown newspaper was far less flattering.... just a thought.

OK. How about this young man? He was an aerial photographer on the plane with Uncle Harold. His flying helmet looks different than both. But his jacket looks to be the B-3, like the second photo I posted. Also, is that a camera he is holding?