86th ID & 1st Army Ike Jacket

Edelweisse

Hi Folks: Years ago, I bought this jacket because it was an 86th ID vet...and on the inside liner by the neck is hand-written laundry# "K-_?_032" and I recently found a piece of paper stapled on the inside right breast pocket hand-written "Kimble".

I researched the laundry# website and found a possible......"PFC Walter A. Kimble Jr" from Morris, NJ who enlisted in Jan 1945 ....so based upon my knowledge of the 86th ID since my Father was in the "Blackhawks" in ETO and PTO....I "think that he is the man. He was probably a replacement which was picked up prior to going into the Pacific. He probably came back when the 86th ID was de-activated and assigned to the 1st Army.

I'm trying to locate unit rosters of the 86th ID. I have the 341st Infantry Regiment roster but I'm trying to locate the 342nd, 343rd, and support units rosters which were created when they were in San Luis Obispo in 1944 prior to going into Europe so he "probably" isn't listed...but...I might be incorrect.

Comments....suggestions?

post-153915-0-76233800-1438738159.jpg

any idea how long he served? because unless im mistaken which is possible... that wouldnt be the right 1st army patch on that sleeve?

Hi Jake: I have no idea how long her served. Based upon the limited data...which is only on the jacket....one enlistment with a total of one (1) year overseas..... 86th ID "combat" patch and 1st Army. That's all I have...........at this point...I feel I'm "SWAG'ing".

Which "correct" 1st Army patch should be on there...? I don't think it was "put together".......but I would appreciate any suggestions/recomendations..etc..

Hmmmm....so "maybe" he stayed on during the Korean war...."M-A-Y-B-E"...since they were wearing Ike jackets during that time. Maybe he continued on...hmmmmmm!!! ;-)

Thanks Jake!!

Hmmmm....so "maybe" he stayed on during the Korean war...."M-A-Y-B-E"...since they were wearing Ike jackets during that time. Maybe he continued on...hmmmmmm!!! ;-)

Thanks Jake!!

thats when the service stripe come into question, but not uncommon to find them not updated

Patches/Jake: I was thinking the same. He got out after his 1st enlistment/draft (smile)...and came back in due the Korean War. My Dad was thinking of doing the same....going back in...but didn't do it. I really do appreciate the comments/suggestions.....a 2nd or 3rd set of eyes (smile)!!! Thanks.......the research continues.

Captainofthe7th

With one service stripe he could have just up to 6 years of service before he'd be entitled for stripe #2. If he enlisted Jan 45 for the first time, like if that's not a reenlistment date on its own, you could reasonably date this to 1950. 1945 + 3 yrs for the first stripes puts it at 1948...now you ride within a 3 year window until he'd receive another stripe you could be anywhere in the year of 1950. You should just write to St Louis for his file.

Rob

My fear with writing St. Louis....I'll get the "Due to a fire......." statement ...but I appreciate your recommendation. That is an option. Tks,

My fear with writing St. Louis....I'll get the "Due to a fire......." statement ...but I appreciate your recommendation. That is an option. Tks,

i got that when i requested my grandfathers and they pulled his dd214 from somewhere else and sent that with the letter...

Hi Jake/Robert: I submitted a request to St. Louis......let's see what happens? No telling what I'll get...a roll of the dice.

Hi Jake/Robert: I submitted a request to St. Louis......let's see what happens? No telling what I'll get...a roll of the dice.

hope it all works out

• 9 months later...
Edelweisse

I rec'd copies of 214 and Honorable discharge w/two (2) pay worksheets but I'm trying to figure out what "PTD" would stand for in Destination which is listed on his 214 discharge. Can anyone assist????

He served one (1) year, one (1) month and ten (10) days overseas.....Maybe I have the right person and then again...maybe not. PFC Walter A. Kimble Jr. served as a clerk typist and awarded Army Occupation Medal, Pacific Campaign Medal, Good Conduct Medal, and WWII Victory Medal...but 86th ID was in Philippines. Army Occupation Medal?? His Honorable Discharge shows "37 Military Government HQ and HQ".....and I can't find that unit or where it was but he was separated at Ft. Dix, NJ on 27 Nov 1946.

I rec'd copies of 214 and Honorable discharge w/two (2) pay worksheets but I'm trying to figure out what "PTD" would stand for in Destination which is listed on his 214 discharge. Can anyone assist????

He served one (1) year, one (1) month and ten (10) days overseas.....Maybe I have the right person and then again...maybe not. PFC Walter A. Kimble Jr. served as a clerk typist and awarded Army Occupation Medal, Pacific Campaign Medal, Good Conduct Medal, and WWII Victory Medal...but 86th ID was in Philippines. Army Occupation Medal?? His Honorable Discharge shows "37 Military Government HQ and HQ".....and I can't find that unit or where it was but he was separated at Ft. Dix, NJ on 27 Nov 1946.

That PTD may be a slight typo and would be PTO, PTO of course being Pacific Theater of Operations. on the Army of Occupation for the 86th Div, the dbate is ongoing, it may be a clerical thing, just putting it down for service post war in the PI. Here's a topic whear the same question is asked on the AO medal and it's ribbon.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/188792-start-date-for-wwii-army-of-occupation-medal/

On the 37 Military Government??? It's hard to find info, but for reference, Military Governments were those units that were set up in occupied countries starting I think towards late 1943 (Italy). Once the Allies started to move out, these units set up, they are the predecessors of today's Civil Affairs units.

More on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_civil_affairs_in_the_United_States_Armed_Forces

Edelweisse

Thank you....maybe I do have the right guy.....PTO vs. PTD.....I'd accept that....clerical hiccup/burp. That is very helpful. Thank you

Thank you....maybe I do have the right guy.....PTO vs. PTD.....I'd accept that....clerical hiccup/burp. That is very helpful. Thank you

You know unless I missed it, I can't find a list of WWII U.S. Army Military Government units, not even the Army's Center for Military History either has anything. Maybe some thing will show up.

Edelweisse

I researched 37th Military Government and came up with nothing except what you provided. I'll continue the search on the unit....maybe in the Phillippines or ???? He wasn't infantry ...on the 214 he was a clerk typist with Arm of Service "AGD"....adjutant general dept