• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unterhund

unterhund
  • Members
    • Member ID: 682
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hello friends...in researching my father's WWII service, I've been unable to determine what weapon he would have been issued as the leader of a LMG squad in a rifle company. I have pictures of a squad in his company, employing their M1919 in a drill, but the squad leader's weapon is not visible. Would he have had a M1911A1 pistol, as would the gunner and asst. gunner? Or some sort of shoulder weapon? This would have been from the Fall of 1941 through Spring of 1942, so I doubt that the M1 Carbine was available on a wide scale. Any thoughts on this matter?

#2 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

Hello,

I have seen gun team leaders armed with just the 1911A1, a 1903A3, and of course a Garand. Later on I see them with the M1 Carbine. Your father could have used any of the above and probably used more than one of them through the campaigns. The one thing I do see is gun leaders in the Pacific were usually armed with a SMG of some sort, most commonly the Thompson but occasionally the M3 Grease Gun.

Cheers
Gary

Hello friends...in researching my father's WWII service, I've been unable to determine what weapon he would have been issued as the leader of a LMG squad in a rifle company. I have pictures of a squad in his company, employing their M1919 in a drill, but the squad leader's weapon is not visible. Would he have had a M1911A1 pistol, as would the gunner and asst. gunner? Or some sort of shoulder weapon? This would have been from the Fall of 1941 through Spring of 1942, so I doubt that the M1 Carbine was available on a wide scale. Any thoughts on this matter?

#3 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,963
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

The Infantry Rifle Company T/O&E (17-7 ed. Feb 44) has the LMG Squad Leader armed with M-1 rifle and M-7 grenade launcher. This T/O&E does not cover the period you are asking about, of course. However, it seems likely that this sort of doctrine would not have changed much from 1941 and implies that the LMG squad leader was armed with the service rifle. That is according to the book, of course. In the field? Who knows.

#4 unterhund

unterhund
  • Members
    • Member ID: 682
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. Dad never saw combat in this role. He went to OCS in the Summer of '42, and then on to the Pacific Theater as a rifle platoon leader. While a Corporal and a LMG squad leader, he did participate in the Louisiana and Carolina Maneuvers of 1941. I will assume that he was issued the M1 rifle during this period.

I've tried to post a picture of a LMG squad in his regiment, but I keep getting the message that the file is too large. Any help offered to this computer punk would be appreciated.

#5 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:39 AM

You will have to resize the photograph. Do you have any type of Photo imagine software on your computer? If so, it should have a resize option. I usually use ACDSee. Pull up the photo in the program and click the resize button. Usually it will give you a few options, to reduce or enlarge by pixel size, or by percentage. I usually go by percentage. Drop it down until the file size is less than 150kb and you can post it here.

Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users