fun finds: HH/Imperial enlisted EGA, "USM" sweetheart & more

Bob Hudson

Picked up a box of EGA's today, including a couple of nice "sweetheart" pieces and an H&H IMPERIAL enlisted dress cover EGA, something that doesn't seem too common.

1.jpg

This large sterling sweetheart piece has some low-key rhinestones, and is marked USM for, of course, US MARINES. Besides the STERLING mark on the anchor cross bar, there appears to be some sort of hallmark at the tip of the anchor but I can't make it out. The sterling silver seems to be quite thick.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Another nice large sweetheart piece, marked STERLING on the wing, but no makers marks.

6.jpg

7.jpg

normaninvasion

Any thoughts on these collar pieces?

attachicon.gif8.jpg

attachicon.gif9.jpg

Believe they are KW era. There is a Wolf Brown carded example in the ref. section. They remind me of all the late 20s-30s variations.

Another nice large sweetheart piece, marked STERLING on the wing, but no makers marks.

attachicon.gif6.jpg

attachicon.gif7.jpg

As far as I know, this was never made in a sweetheart pattern. I believe it to be an officer cover emblem that either the post broke or was intentionally removed...looks like you can see remnants of the marks made by the heating of the solder... and then either repaired with the pinback or converted for sweetheart use. Fairly common of the era to see this done. Beautiful bird

And the H&H Imperial...nice, proving there're still variants of the M37 out there. I've seen the cover emblem in dress with the H&H on the separate disk, but not one also marked Imperial that I can recall

Any thoughts on these collar pieces?

attachicon.gif8.jpg

attachicon.gif9.jpg

Post-WWII private purchase pair based on the Meyers pattern of the 20s-30s. I've only seen the clutchback in service, never marked, but when packaged they tend to be on WB cards

This large sterling sweetheart piece has some low-key rhinestones, and is marked USM for, of course, US MARINES. Besides the STERLING mark on the anchor cross bar, there appears to be some sort of hallmark at the tip of the anchor but I can't make it out. The sterling silver seems to be quite thick.

attachicon.gif4.jpg

attachicon.gif5.jpg

Is it a Trifari mark? They used several hallmarks over the years, but the style reminds me of other sweetheart pieces that were manufactorer by them. Lots of rounded, slick edges and rhinestones, generally pinback broaches like so

One of their better known pieces for reference...

$_35.JPG

Is it a Trifari mark? They used several hallmarks over the years, but the style reminds me of other sweetheart pieces that were manufactorer by them. Lots of rounded, slick edges and rhinestones, generally pinback broaches like so

One of their better known pieces for reference...

I thought it might be theirs, but in doing worthpoint and Google image searches I've looked at a ton of Trifaris and I just don't see any matches for this one, which has no continents, uses the "USM" and and has the anchor pointing the "wrong" way.

comp.jpg

The bird on this one does seems inspired by the spike helmet emblem:

comp2.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

As far as I know, this was never made in a sweetheart pattern. I believe it to be an officer cover emblem that either the post broke or was intentionally removed...looks like you can see remnants of the marks made by the heating of the solder... and then either repaired with the pinback or converted for sweetheart use. Fairly common of the era to see this done. Beautiful bird

And the H&H Imperial...nice, proving there're still variants of the M37 out there. I've seen the cover emblem in dress with the H&H on the separate disk, but not one also marked Imperial that I can recall

Concur... Post WW1 construction converted to pin back by necessity