38 replies to this topic

#1 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,677
  • 988 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hey Guys,
Thought some of you might like to see some of the practice mines I painted up to represent the HE landmine used in WWII. I dont like to take original items and repaint but the practice mines I use were rusty and real inert WWII mines are very scarce.
The repo box was made by me before I had the 15 original boxes I have now. Original hinges were used. You can tell a WWII hinge by how many screws hold it down, they will hace 4 or 5. The boxes you see with 3 screws holding down the hinge are post WWII.
before and Ater pics.

http://img360.images...10/mine1bw7.jpg
http://img98.imagesh...1/minem1wc9.jpg
http://img505.images...fmines32tz4.jpg

#2 Brian Keith

Brian Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,549
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

OMG!
You must call the bomb squad immediately! Those things are Live! Look at the markings!
YOU ARE GOING TO DIE IF YOU DONíT RUN SCREAMING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL TO THE AUTHORITIES!
Of course they will see it and sweat bullets and then proceed to evacuate five blocks and then blow your house to kingdom come and take you to jail. You will have to prove that that were inert, but when the bomb squad shows the footage of your house blowing up (of course, the Bomb Squad didn't tell the jury they used 250lbs of C4 to set it off) you will see the inside of the gray bar hotel. (Don't drop the soap!)
OK, the above was just in "jest". Although, you really did a convincing job! They look good. But, just to be safe, you may want to produce a red sticker that says: "EOD INERT" and put it on the bottom of your "mines". And maybe even a sheet of paper saying "Inert" laying on top, inside the box; so it can be seen when the box is opened. You never know, aliens could abduct you tonight and some one will find that stuff and run screaming like a little girl to the authorities!
BKW

#3 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hi Brian,
LOL...Too funny...Yes all my stuff thats painted up have inert stickers, I take them off for pics. The weight is a dead give away too. Next Im going to do an early M1 all yellow with black letters.

#4 Brian Keith

Brian Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,549
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:20 PM

Nice stuff, glad your girlfriend /wife/ landlord won't have to explain what these things are!
]
BKW

#5 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:53 AM

DD:

You did a great job of bringing back to life some stuff that was approaching relic status. I like the woodwork as well. Very convincing.

Charlie

Edited by Charlie Flick, 06 August 2008 - 04:54 AM.

#6 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:44 AM

DD:

You did a great job of bringing back to life some stuff that was approaching relic status. I like the woodwork as well. Very convincing.

Charlie

Thanks...There was a time when original Mine boxes were very hard to be found. Now I've got a stash of boxes so with wood costing what it does, finding original hinges and then the time to make it, it just doesn't make sense to make them anymore.

#7 jgawne

jgawne
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,657
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

but where did you get the fuzes!

#8 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:29 PM

but where did you get the fuzes!

Practice mine fuzes are a little hard to find and really kinda rare. I have a dozen or so from my years of collecting. Here is a pic of 3 different kinds of practice fuze. The real hard thing to find is the saftey fork believe it or not.

http://img164.images...51/fuze5ie1.jpg

#9 kphfun

kphfun
  • Banned
    • Member ID: 3,273
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

Wow, how did I miss this post? They are simply outstanding!! Kudo's to you my friend http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif ..

#10 Bill in VA

Bill in VA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 302
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:33 AM

Here's my one and only.... You'll have to pardon the shot-coat of OD spray paint and the plastic paint cap tucked into the fuze hole but it looks a whole lot better than it did.

mine.JPG
mine_2.JPG
mine_3.JPG

Edited by Bill in VA, 15 August 2008 - 05:34 AM.

#11 Bill in VA

Bill in VA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 302
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:34 AM

And the last one...
mine_side.JPG

#12 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the nice words KPhFun, Hey Bill, Your practice mine is an M1A1, the earlier M1 mines had the holes on the sides and a heavy steel insert fitted inside. You can make a decent fuze out of PVC pipe like the one that is shown in the pic below, all the way to the right. I now make them out of polymer..

Attached Images

• ebay_plain_fuze_001.jpg
  • fuze_6.jpg

#13 Peace

Peace
  • Members
    • Member ID: 132
  • 697 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

Here are some pictures of the M1A1 Mine I recently found. When bought it seemingly had no paint left. I treated it with some oxialic acid rubbed in with the soft side of a diswashing sponge. This is the result;

Mine_M1A1.JPG

Mine_M1A1_back.JPG

#14 Peace

Peace
  • Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

And a detail picture of the remaining markings;

Mine_M1A1_markings.JPG

Regards,

Stijn

Attached Images

• Mine_M1A1_back.JPG

Edited by Peace, 21 October 2008 - 01:33 PM.

#15 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

And a detail picture of the remaining markings;

Mine_M1A1_markings.JPG

Regards,

Stijn

Nice find Stijn, original HE mines are very rare and hard to find. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#16 Peace

Peace
  • Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

This was the third HE mine I ever saw for sale. First one was 10 years ago, 2nd one was in april this year, that one only exploded once...

#17 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
    • Member ID: 211
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

To DD and others---

Can you provide details on the various examples of the M1, M1A1, and M4 mines? Information I found on the Internet, regarding bomb identification, removal, and demolition has me somewhat confused. If the source is accurate then:

M1--welded spider (on left in Post 1); no filler hole on top (see top photo in Post 1); and five holes around base (top photo Post 1)

M1A1--pressed spider (top of Post 1); no filler hole on top (top of Post 1)

M1B1 (dummy smoke)--presses spider; four slotted holes on top (Post 10)

M4--pressed spider; filler cap on top (seen in all examples except for top photo in Post 1)

I just purchased a mine (not yet in hand) that has no filler cap on top, has the five holes in the side, and the pressed spider. Is mine and others posted here made up of parts or is the identification information incorrect or incomplete?

M1A1.jpg

#18 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

M1A1fuse.jpg

#19 Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

Hi Siege,
Your practice mine is original, yours will have a steel ring inside to simulate the weight of a real HE mine. Later practice mines were made without the steel ring inside to save on materials and the weight in shipping. The ones without the steel ring inside will have a fill hole so the soldier can add sand to give it the weight. The fuze can be dug out of the body but it takes time a patience..I've done lots that way, it may not have the bottom half... You will need a thin piece of steel and some oil..and a lot of time getting the old sand out.

#20 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

DD---

Thanks for the reply. It is good to know that I made an okay purchase. Was $60.00 a fair price?

A follow-up question. You say the practice mines without the internal weight have a filler hole to add sand. Why does the mine posted by Peace (Post 13), which appears to be an intact HE mine with original OD and yellow paint, and no smoke holes, have a filler hole? More confusion!!!

---Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)