USMC Officer Uniform - John M Kellar - WWII Aviation

MasonK

I picked up this uniform yesterday from a local antique co-op. Originally looked at it the day prior, and was put off by the price ($50). I then started to think about it, and well, had to give it a second look. Thought I would take a chance. and I'm quite happy I did.

Uniform is named to J M Kellar. Only one name matches in the Muster Rolls; John M(ichael) Kellar.

I'm a bit green when it comes to deciphering USMC muster rolls. The articles I found on Kellar confirm he was in the Pacific, which is evident by the the nice 1/2" PTO ribbon with campaign star affixed to his uniform.

Muster rolls show him attached to the VMF-113 and VMF-115. MOS was a Communications Office. I guess my question is, what would his role have been as a communications officer attached to a fighter squadron?

Uniform is quite large; would fit me if i lost a few lb's, and I'm 6'2". This makes sense as Kellar was captain of his football team in HS, so obviously a big guy.

Cover EGA is Sterling H&H; collar are H&H - I assume bronze. Wings appear to have been "Trenched".

Thanks in advance for any help, or comments!

post-29885-0-34324300-1436468777.jpg

post-29885-0-82022800-1436468782.jpg

Here are the muster rolls. Appears he remained in the reserves post-war, eventually achieving the rank of Major.

post-29885-0-21067700-1436468984.jpg

post-29885-0-60220400-1436468971.jpg

Lastly, some of his vitals and a link to his findagrave, with his obituary:

post-29885-0-77268700-1436469744.jpg

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Kellar&GSfn=John&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GSsr=41&GRid=132649069&df=all&

PITTSFIELD, BERKSHIRE Co., MA - Mr. John M. Kellar, ( 68y ) d: April 26, 1985 - retired physical education instructor in the Pittsfield school system, died in his sleep yesterday at his home, 112 Windsor Ave. He would have been 69 May 16. Mr. Kellar was a star athlete at Pittsfield High School and Holy Cross College and for 13 years was the golf professional at Berkshire Hills Country Club. He retired from the Pittsfield School Department in 1979 after 23 years on the physical education staff at South Junior High School. Prior to joining the Pittsfield school system he was with the Dalton School Department for five years as a science teacher and high school varsity coach. During World War II, he enlisted in the Marines and served as a first lieutenant in combat in the Pacific for 13 months. Prior to enlisting he worked for a time at General Electric Co.'s ordnance defense plant. He leaves his wife, the former Mary G. Reagan, with whom he celebrated their 42nd wedding anniversary Feb. 12,; a son, John Kellar Jr. of Beverly ; two daughters, Mrs. Jane May of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Miss Sara R. Kellar of Albany, N.Y.; a sister, Mrs. Frances Spaniol of Pittsfield, and three grandchildren.

patrick_usmc

Wow, great find! I'd shell out $50 in a heartbeat for that. Just curious, do you plan to 'restore' it by putting wings, etc. on it? Congrats again on the awesome find.

Wow, great find! I'd shell out $50 in a heartbeat for that. Just curious, do you plan to 'restore' it by putting wings, etc. on it? Congrats again on the awesome find.

Thanks, Patrick! I'm going to request IDPF to confirm what he would have worn, before attempting any type of restoration.

Do you feel he would have been a pilot? Newspaper article states he was "flying with the Marines" and "figured in many missions".

I'd say he wasn't a pilot but that's just me. I would think his MOS would list him as a pilot but who knows.

Thanks, USdog. As a comms officer, what do you think his role would have been, then? In the event this comes off as me suggesting you're wrong, I'm not. I am actually serious about that question, as I haven't the slightest clue.

I think I agree with you, though. Nothing suggests that he was a pilot. Likely a bad choice of words by the newspaper reporter.

Curious to see what his IDPF reveals.

Thanks, USdog. As a comms officer, what do you think his role would have been, then? In the event this comes off as me suggesting you're wrong, I'm not. I am actually serious about that question, as I haven't the slightest clue.

I think I agree with you, though. Nothing suggests that he was a pilot. Likely a bad choice of words by the newspaper reporter.

Curious to see what his IDPF reveals.

I have no idea, just thinking that he would have been listed as a pilot and not a comms officer in his mos like I said before.

Thanks, USdog.

One last thing; probably wondering the link between finding this in the PA area (antique shop I found it in is located in NJ, just outside Philly), considering Kellar was from Massachusetts. I found a public listing which provided his home address in Pittsfield, MA. Searched that same address and found his daughter, who lived in Bensalem, PA, around the time of her father's passing. Bensalem is right outside Philly. My guess is she had the uniform, then it somehow left her hands.

The seller said the uniform was mixed in with a bunch of other clothing items at an auction, basically a rag pile.

Nice find...the Officer EGAs pair are worth $50!

Looking forward for more info about this Marine.

LF

patrick_usmc

I was thinking about the whole comms officer thing and it reminded me of a group I found where the muster rolls had no indication that the Marine was a pilot, it listed him and his MOS as the squadron's ordnance officer. Upon finding the squadron website, he was listed and photographed as a pilot. The point is that he could have been a pilot, don't totally discount it. I found no site for VMF-113, so we'll just have to wait for the record to find out!

patrick_usmc

Reading the above comments, I thought it wise to say the same thing as Mason K. I'm not saying anybody is wrong here, just adding another thought for consideration.

I was looking at his muster rolls as well and where other officers had NA (for Naval Aviator) beside their name, his did not, so I don't think he was a pilot. This was the case for a uniform I had to an officer in a PBJ squadron. His muster roll entries only had his duty like your guy but there was a squadron web site showing him as a pilot and when I got his records it showed he was a ground staff officer, not aviator. But, the records will tell for sure so good luck and it still is a good find for the price.