WWII 101st Airborne Officer's Yard Long Portrait

lakenormanusa

lakenormanusa

I found this very nice and interesting WWII 101st Airborne yard long photo. All men in the portrait are officers.

They are wearing their training gear. I was only able to attach a couple photos,

but I was curious to know if any of these men can be identified. In the first photo.

the Captain pictured in the center must be the CO Thanks in advance

for any information.

post-125711-0-24047800-1436347513.jpg

post-125711-0-35292600-1436347699.jpg

First picture, bottom row left is Lt Col Patrick Cassidy, 1/502nd

Second picture, bottom row second from left is Captain Frank Lillyman, Pathfinder, 502nd (allegedly first U.S. soldier to land in France during the Normandy invasion).

Thats all I got. I'd check out Mark Bando's books (or Bando himself) to identify more.

Johan Willaert

Cassidy would be on the LEFT in the first picture and Lillyman would be second from LEFT in the second picture, no?

doinworkinvans

Wait....I see Winters, Spiers,...... ^_^

Just kidding, but in all seriousness that is a sweet picture, those are some serious lookin' mamba jambas.... B)

Were you able to acquire this photo? Does it apper to be an original?

lakenormanusa

Thank you for the information Johan and yp. I will make a note of this information!
I was researching the two men you identified and found two more individuals who are in the portrait,
Maj. John Hanlon and Capt. Cecil Simmons.
doinwork, I do have this photo and it's original. If I can find someone who has the
resources and is interested in researching, I would like to photograph the entire
portrait in sections and email it over to them to see if anyone else can be identified.

lakenormanusa

Any idea of this was taken of the 502 before deployment or at the end of the war?

Most of the men are wearing web gear and carbines with fold out stocks,

so it appears as though this photo was taken during training before deployment.

lakenormanusa

Cassidy would be on the LEFT in the first picture and Lillyman would be second from LEFT in the second picture, no?

Attached is another section of the photo.

From a website I was looking at, the man in the center appears to be Capt. Cecil Simmons

post-125711-0-08389000-1436407220.jpg