B-5 Mae West

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

If this should be in survival gear please move..but it was a tossup as Mae Wests are generally considered flight gear...Anyway

here are a few B5's that are pretty cool

The first is a July 18th, 1945 dated B5 from Latex Products

the second is dated 1951 by Willis & Gieger

Both of these hold air...which is way cool

post-155518-0-00741600-1436219741.jpg

post-155518-0-00057400-1436219747.jpg

post-155518-0-44952900-1436219817.jpg

phantomfixer

tag of the second...

The third is another Willis & Gieger dated 1949, has three USAF stamps

post-155518-0-05510700-1436219859.jpg

post-155518-0-18207700-1436220005.jpg

phantomfixer

#3 tag

and the fourth is yet another W&G 1951 dated...#3&4 do not hold air bummer, #4 is one of favorites as it is stamped Dover AFB with insp stamps up to 1963.. It is also the most ragged of the bunch......

I have had other B5s from Dover with Insp stamps up to 1968..

the NSN for the B5 is still in Fedlog....

post-155518-0-75294700-1436220050.jpg

post-155518-0-08795000-1436220182.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Great specimens Phantom, especially the earliest one... fantastic!! Here a couple details of mine from 1951 (by Willis & Geiger, order No. 383s - 54948) in great conditions, worn by the F-86 mannequinn pilot:

post-151851-0-57201600-1436254191.jpg

phantomfixer

Very Nice F86 rig, and B5....I know W&G and Stein Bros had contracts for the B5 in the 50s...have you seen any other manufacturers of the vest ....in the 50's era?

BlueBookGuy

hello Phantom, a rather deep research has surfaced apparently not more than three makers for a typical B-5 from about 1949 to late '50s:

Stein Bros. of Chicago, Willis & Geiger, United States Rubber Company.

phantomfixer

Bugger of it is, I think I had a US Rubber Co. B-5 awhile back.....Thanks Bluebook

BTW have you found the pull handles for the CO2 safety wired with .0020 copper or steel?

BlueBookGuy

all Life Vests I have owned (not only the B-5s) didn't have their wires nor the CO2 contents. However all complete at least with the threaded caps, and plastic handles.

If I correctly understood you particularly like the B-5 model. Perhaps would be nice to complete your series with the Italian-made (licensed) variant of B-5 like the one I looked for when wishing to have my mannequinn of Italian jet pilot (but, virtually in whole USAF fashion) from early '60s finished.

Will post pics. I eventually found out it but not without difficulty, even being it an Italian item.

phantomfixer

Very nice and clean... I see a strap with a snap on it, lower center of the vest were the two bladders meet...what is the purpose..I have not seen this on US models...Does not surprise me with the late manufacture date.. I have seen Insp stamps on some here in the late 60's and early 70's...The 1607th used the B5 well into the late 60s

I was in USAFE for 4 years, 84-87, was always cool to see the NATO country pilots getting out of their 104s, and F4s and such....Diverse gear choices

Nice to know that my Iwo 51 pilot photo spurred a good discussion and lots of learning for folks like me. I don't have the flight suitor vest of that pilot buti do have his B-10, wings, Air Medal, paperwork and a bunch of photos of his. In time I'll be putting together an Iwo 51 pilot based on him. You gents just taught me a lot that will help when that time comes. Thanks :)

BlueBookGuy

Got a bit confused, "Giusti" is maker of the blue integral G-coverall model "G-4Ter", copied from the David Clark "G-4A". Life Vest rather was made by the firm "Aerostatica".

Apparently that chromed snap wouldn't have any purpose since isn't it wich holds the two halves, nor is it some sort of adjustement. At least so it does appear to me.

If remember correct, that italian B-5 was the most difficult piece to surface if wishing to have in decent shape - yes even more than the original "spurs" that I eventually had for strapping at flight boots (typical items for the F-104 pilots with their C-2 ejection seat).

phantomfixer

I know the F4E had leg restriants that pulled the legs down and in on ejection...is that what the spurs are for?

If an Italian B5 pops here around Dover AFB I pick it up you!!! Or me...I try to collect Dover AFB gear...jackets helmets etc..to help tell the story of Dover AFB from 1940 on up..

I usually don't pass up much in militaria locally if the price is right...this town is target rich in surplus AF gear...

driver, hope your 51 pilot turns out just as nice as Bluebooks 86 driver

I have a B-5 STEIN BROS. MFG. CO. from the 83ND FTR JULY 1951.

Why are the leather peaces some times pink and then dark brown?