Show off your collection

Hillbilly1918

Hillbilly1918

Well seein as how its late and I don't have a date tonight figured I would oil the snaps on my belts and knives. As my Dad always said when I got a candy bar we can share, we could share our collections. So first up is my small knife collection so far.

Top to bottom:

Rebuilt 1905 Springfield Bayonet for ww2 (Springfield 1909)

Cut Down Springfield 1912 bayonet

m-1942 machete

Pal Rh36 hunting/trench knife

m-1917CT Bolo

EGW private purchase hunting knife

M-3 with m6 scabbard (belt hook was removed for some reason)

m- bayonet

Show us your stuff.

post-3561-1217727597.jpg

Spathologist

This is what I have with me at my present location; about 70% of my collection.

Top rack, top to bottom:

M1902, Springfield Armory 1st Pattern, 34", with german silver scabbard

M1902, Springfield Armory, 1st Pattern, 30", no scabbard

M1902, Springfield Armory, 2nd Pattern, 34", steel scabbard

M1902, Springfield Armory, 3rd Pattern, 32", steel scabbard

M1905 Experimental, Springfield Armory, #52, 32", pigskin officer's scabbard

M1905 Experimental, Ames Sword Co., 32", no scabbard

M1905 Experimental, Springfield Armory, #132, 32", leather scabbard

I'm also awaiting arrival of a M1902/1st Pattern/32", a M1902/2nd Pattern/30", an Ames M1906 Saber, and another Ames M1905 Experimental with a leather scabbard.

On the bottom rack are my M1913s/M1917s. From top shelf, left to right:

1913-dated Springfield Armory with nickeled furniture and steel officer's scabbard

1913-dated Springfield Armory with 1st type field scabbard, tent peg intact

1914-dated Springfield Armory with 1st type field scabbard, tent peg ground off

1915-dated Springfield Armory with 2nd type field scabbard

1917-dated Springfield Armory with 2nd type field scabbard

1918-dated Springfield Armory with 2nd type field scabbard

1918-dated LF&C with nickeled furniture and steel officer's scabbard

1918-dated LF&C, rejected by inspector, no scabbard

1919-dated LF&C with 2nd type field scabbard

1914-dated Springfield Armory, no scabbard...this is my beater.

I am awaiting arrival of a serial-numbered 1918-dated LF&C. I can't find a 1916-dated blade anywhere, except cut down as a knife....

Rack1.JPG

This is what I have with me at my present location; about 70% of my collection.

Top rack, top to bottom:

M1902, Springfield Armory 1st Pattern, 34", with german silver scabbard

M1902, Springfield Armory, 1st Pattern, 30", no scabbard

M1902, Springfield Armory, 2nd Pattern, 34", steel scabbard

M1902, Springfield Armory, 3rd Pattern, 32", steel scabbard

M1905 Experimental, Springfield Armory, #52, 32", pigskin officer's scabbard

M1905 Experimental, Ames Sword Co., 32", no scabbard

M1905 Experimental, Springfield Armory, #132, 32", leather scabbard

I'm also awaiting arrival of a M1902/1st Pattern/32", a M1902/2nd Pattern/30", an Ames M1906 Saber, and another Ames M1905 Experimental with a leather scabbard.

On the bottom rack are my M1913s/M1917s. From top shelf, left to right:

1913-dated Springfield Armory with nickeled furniture and steel officer's scabbard

1913-dated Springfield Armory with 1st type field scabbard, tent peg intact

1914-dated Springfield Armory with 1st type field scabbard, tent peg ground off

1917-dated Springfield Armory with 2nd type field scabbard

1918-dated Springfield Armory with 2nd type field scabbard

1918-dated LF&C with nickeled furniture and steel officer's scabbard

1918-dated LF&C, rejected by inspector, no scabbard

1919-dated LF&C with 2nd type field scabbard

1914-dated Springfield Armory, no scabbard...this is my beater.

I am awaiting arrival of a serial-numbered 1918-dated LF&C. I can't find a 1916-dated blade anywhere, except cut down as a knife....

Rack1.JPG

Varangia.

Very nice collection and well displayed!!

George. thumbsup.gif

Hillbilly1918
Thank you! I'm inordinately proud of the racks; they were my very first foray into carpentry.

They look nicely built did you use red oak? oh yeah nice collection of sabers they are pretty badass.

Spathologist
They look nicely built did you use red oak? oh yeah nice collection of sabers they are pretty badass.

Ummm...I don't know for sure what it is. I wanted oak, I asked for oak, but what I didn't bother to find out is that there are four local trees also referred to as "oak" and what they proudly presented was one of the local varieties. It's hardwood, very dense and heavy. It's white when sanded, "darkens" to the color of a manila folder when left in the sun, and has dark streaks within the grain. The best I could figure out from asking the locals is that it's some type of tabebuia. I saw that it had ambrosia beetle galleries in it, and I though that would add a nice touch. Unfortunately I failed to note the wood was still green, and the infestation active. It's not much of a problem as the beetles don't eat the wood; they bore the galleries and plant mold spores, and then eat the mold (the mold is what gives the distinctive dark stains to Ambrosia Maple). So I stacked it outside to season, and noticed the next morning that the local ants had found the wood and were dragging the beetles and their larvae out of their gallery holes, so my active ambrosia infestation problem did not last long. Gotta love a rain forest ecology...

Spathologist

Hillbilly and I can't be the only ones with an edged weapon collection....

Sarge, I'm calling you out!

Well, I have some 300 US edged weapons from the 1870's through WW2, but they are all packed away in footlockers. Someday in the future, I'll post pictures.

I'd like to see them all at once as well. My first M1913 "Patton" sword was an SA 1916. A real beauty, too. Sold it a few years ago unfortunatly. Replaced it with a 1913 dated example.

Fantastic collection and display Varangian! I want to add a nice 1860 and 1872 Cavalry sabers and maybe a few different 1902s to mine.

IMG_2069576x864.jpg

Spathologist

Very nice! And that M1906 looks pristine! I just received one I bought, though it's not as nice as yours. Who's the maker on the M1902?

I was lucky on the 1906 being in such nice condition. The 1902 is made by HENDERSON AMES of KALAMAZOO. I'm not for sure but think maybe it's pre WW1.

Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

All beautiful blades and very well displayed. I know how hard it is to find nice stuff and how tough it can be to figure out a way to properly and safely display them. Although I do have a few swords, I have mostly stayed away from them because of the space considerations. Most of my edged weapons are located in cabinet drawers which are not much of a "display", but they do allow for them to be out of the light, out of sight and put away in some kind of semi-organized fashion. I had the cabinet constructed of mica with shallow drawers about 25 years ago.

I'll post a few pics here that were taken back around 2000 or so, when I bought my first digital camera and was trying it out on everything. I was so excited to take pics and not have to worry about wasting film and getting them developed. That seems like a million years ago now.

This drawer holds most of my USGI folding knives, including the MIL-K, engineer, Colonial Jiant Jacknife, and other miscellaneous types.

P5120077.JPG

The next drawer holds some US Navy Mark 2 7" knives. Each of these have different markings as I keep very few duplicates in my collection.

P5120078.jpg

Here are some Navy Mark I knives with 5" blades. I have always liked the Mark I knives because there was so much variability in the style and markings.

P5120079.jpg

The last one is of some USMC 7" Fighting Utility knives. One of the odd ones in there is a PAL with an aluminum pommel like the RH-36, but it is a 7" blade marked USMC.

P5120080.jpg

That is all for now. I'll post a few more later on when time permits.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Awesome displays, Chris, Charlie, et al. I'm starting to work on organizing my stuff now that I've finally gotten "my own" room :) I should have some photos in the coming months; in the meantime, keep them coming! thumbsup.gif

Charlie if you ever liquidate your collection the market will be flooded!!!! Very nice and I know probably a lot of hard work finding some of the rarer makers.

post-551-1218376638.jpgMy collection is small compaired to some but it covers both wars. First three are my LF&C 1917 dated trench knife with Jewell scabbard. Plum 1918 dated Bolo with Bauer Bros 1918 dated Scabbard. and last my CT 1917 dated Bolo with Metal LF&C 1918 dated scabbard

post-551-1218376983.jpgNext is my WWI bayonets. First is my Remintion 1913/1917 overstamped with 1st pattern scabbard. 1917 Remington with second scabbard. 1907 dated bright blade with scabbard. And last 1917 dated blued blade with 1917 dated Bauer Bros. scabbard

post-551-1218377200.jpgMy WWII bayonets. 1942 dated UC cutdown M-1. Next is my UC non-cutdown M-1. and last is a Remington 1917 with fiberglass WWII scabbard used for trench shotguns

post-551-1218377297.jpg

post-551-1218377200.jpgMy WWII bayonets. 1942 dated UC cutdown M-1. Next is my UC non-cutdown M-1. and last is a Remington 1917 with fiberglass WWII scabbard used for trench shotguns

oops. wrong picture

Thats my fighting knife. M3 blade marked Imperial with M8 scabbard. M4 Camillus carbine bayonet with M8 altered scabbard. EGW knife. Pal RH36 and Camillus

These are my WWII bayonets. Yes I know I don't have the 42 long bayonet but I collect ETO items only

LtRGFrank,

Nice colletion. I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for a reason to add to my collection ;) Here is a reason to add a 42 long bayonet to your collection. This photo was taken in Normandy, in 1944.

post-70-1218390773.jpg