WWII 91st Infantry Division Vet TR Bring Back

devincu

I was contacted Friday by a daughter of a WWII vet who said she wanted to get this German badge out of her house because of the bad Karma attached to it. (OK?? :blink: ) Anyway after looking at the piece I asked about her dad's service and she showed me the rest of his foot locker stuff. He was a Capt. with the 91st Infantry Division during WWII, and he also brought back a huge TR banner with a bunch of his soldiers names written on it, but apparently that one was ok because she kept it. The only other items she would give me were a couple pieces of his Vmail from Italy to keep with it for provenance. I don't really collect German stuff, but this badge is in near mint condition and in the original case. Anyway its pretty cool!

Devin

post-59872-0-15162300-1435619183.jpg

Gorgeous badge! I never get that mindset where people will keep certain things but not the others. Oh well! Nice piece again! Were you at least able to get some pics of what was in the footlocker?

Didn't she see Raiders of the Lost Ark?? It is your duty to inform her that if she keeps that banner, spirits may fly around her house, and her face may melt; just like in the movie, which was base on actual Nazis. And, of course, you would be willing to transport the cursed banner to a site of safety.

Didn't she see Raiders of the Lost Ark?? It is your duty to inform her that if she keeps that banner, spirits may fly around her house, and her face may melt; just like in the movie, which was base on actual Nazis. And, of course, you would be willing to transport the cursed banner to a site of safety.

Lol...never thought of that, but it's a good idea! She must have thought the signatures made the banner okay.

Gorgeous badge! I never get that mindset where people will keep certain things but not the others. Oh well! Nice piece again! Were you at least able to get some pics of what was in the footlocker?

No I didn't even think about doing that. Mostly his uniform pieces and helmet. There was a photo album in there too but she seemed a little funny about letting me see it, so I didn't push the issue.

manayunkman

I'm sure everyone knows this but I'll put it down as a formality.

The name of this medal is German Cross in Gold.

It was a bravery medal that has a similar equivalent value in heroism to the Distinguished Service Cross.

It sort of came after the Iron Cross 1st Class and before the Knights Cross.

Over 30,000 were awarded.

Can you show the outside of the box lid and the back of the medal please ?

Check out both sides of the crosses pin as well.

How many rivets are on the back ?

It's a rather costly thing especially with an original box.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I'm sure everyone knows this but I'll put it down as a formality.

The name of this medal is German Cross in Gold.

It was a bravery medal that has a similar equivalent value in heroism to the Distinguished Service Cross.

It sort of came after the Iron Cross 1st Class and before the Knights Cross.

Over 30,000 were awarded.

Can you show the outside of the box lid and the back of the medal please ?

Check out both sides of the crosses pin as well.

How many rivets are on the back ?

It's a rather costly thing especially with an original box.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sure here you go...

post-59872-0-12153800-1435625287.jpg

Easterneagle87,

Would you be able to give a price range on an item like this? From the photographs the item looks near mint. It looks like a showcase centerpiece.

DocCollector1441

I'm not as savvy on my German awards values as I once was, but a similar example is for sale with the case on German Militaria for $2856.00. Their website is notoriously high priced, so I would say you would probably collect $1500 to $2000 for it easy.