Colonel Alexander D. Reid 424th infantry regiment of the 106th infantry division Battle of the Bulge

mdk0911

All,

I was able to get this great grouping to this Colonel!

He was in charge of the 424th during the Battle of the Bulge. This regiment along with the 422 and the 423 were the first units hit in the attack - the 422 and the 423 were captured (the biggest capture of troops in the army history - around 6900 men) but the 424 was not captured but took a heavy pounding from the Germans - Col Reid let the men thru the whole Bulge battle and was wounded by a german sniper around Jan 16 1945 - (he got the purple heart and the bronze star from this battle). I'm honored this have this. there are pieces that I'm trying to get hopefully!!

You can Google this man and the battle as there is a lot this man did before and after this battle in the army - He helped with the planning Normandy Invasion!

He did 25 years of service!

enjoy

mike

post-80886-0-22428800-1435613711.jpg

post-80886-0-18216900-1435613753.jpg

Great group and sounds like a great man. I love the model 1902 sword. Can I ask, did you get the group from the family, an auction, estate sale, a shop?

• 8 years later...
On 7/1/2015 at 5:06 AM, mdk0911 said:

Thanks for the kind words - surprise EBAY - that surprised me too that is was there!!

Thank you for sharing Mike, and thank you for preserving all of that together.  I am related to Colonel Alexander D. Reid, his sister is my Grandmother, so I think he'd be my Granduncle.  I have a few letters I have found so far, maybe something more, but I found out his nickname was Shim, at least to his folks.  Letter I have is from 1946 so before he goes to Venezuela according to the letter, on Headquarters Caribbean Defense Command letterhead.  

Tim