M1911 Pistol Arsenal Refurbs

collector

I will post pics of two 1911 and 1911A1 Arsenal refurbishments, and hope other members post pictures of theirs.

I find them interesting, not only because I have a couple, but because of their often long history of usage.

Most seem to be of mixed parts and manufacturers, due to the fact that when disassembled, the parts were thrown into a basket for cleaning and refinishing, and then reassembled without regard to manufacturer.

Also I've seen various colors of Parkerization, even within the two varieties I know about, zinc and manganese.

You can see the variation in the two examples I will post pics of. I believe the 1911 is manganese, and the 1911A1 zinc.

Here are my examples; 1918 Remington UMC with Colt slide, and a 1942 Colt with Remington Rand slide.

Note the Remington UMC is a darker Parkerization.

The Remington UMV has the AA mark for Augusta Arsena on the left side, the Colt has the OG for Ogden Arsenal on the right side.

post-1414-0-10645000-1435515219.jpg

Beautiful pistols!! I also share your appreciation for a true arsenal refurb pistol. Most collectors shy away from these but I actually like them!!

I have a 1918 Colt M1911 that was refurbed by two different arsenals. It was first refurbed by the Augusta Arsenal, then it was refurbed by the Rock Island Arsenal and stamped by Frank Krack. It is one of my favorite pistols and I can only imagine the places it could have been.

Thanks for sharing those great pistols!!!!!

Chris

Thanks Chris,

If you can, please post pictures of your 1911!

With closeups of the marks if possible?

David

Great pistols!!

I have an all original 1918 with no arsenal rework.

I really want a second 1911 and I was thinking of a nice 1918 or so colt reworked for World War 2 like the ones posted here.

Looking forward to more on this thread.

Okay, here's my arsenal rebuild by Rock Island Arsenal. The only thing they did was change the grip safety, the grips, and possibly the thumb safety. Not refinished, and all other parts are RR.

post-11546-0-29393900-1435542695.jpg

Chris and thorin6,

Thanks for the pics, yours have both frame and slide by the same maker, looks great.

Love the double (triple?) marks on yours Chris.

I too hope others post theirs. So now we have examples of OG, AA, and RIA.

David

Mine is a 1943 Remington Rand that at some point went through Rock Island Arsenal. The interesting thing about this pistol is that it still retains the original finish and the correct parts configuration for the year of manufacture, so most likely it was inspected instead of rebuilt. Pistols were stamped for both inspections and rebuilds, so unmolested original pistols that exhibit arsenal stamps are still seen from time to time.

post-157833-0-70053300-1435930348.jpg

Here is my Colt 1918 Transitional rebuild? has had the frame clearance cuts for the trigger to the m1911A1 frame mix of blued and parkerized parts. No rebuild Arsenal stamps

post-7997-0-79044200-1436318265.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
shawnmt6601

Here is my Colt 1918 Transitional rebuild? has had the frame clearance cuts for the trigger to the m1911A1 frame mix of blued and parkerized parts. No rebuild Arsenal stamps

i think yours is more a case of some one bought it and swapped some parts in it, after is stopped being Military property

very common thing

• 2 weeks later...