Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?

Que

So I picked up this M5A1 Bayonet at a gun show this Last weekend. It is a MILPAR COL with out the DAS. So Ive been researching and discovered that this one could have been made on a contract to support another country or for the Surplus market, or even produced after the use of the DAS ceased. The back cut appears correct for a US contract built bayonet from MILPAR. Here are some pics...see anything out of the ordinary?

post-158226-0-31225300-1435497192.jpg post-158226-0-21237600-1435497217.jpg post-158226-0-94674700-1435497234.jpg

I've noticed that the US M5A1 and the MILPAR stamp are stamped on the wrong side of the guard. When viewing the US M5A1 Stamp the stud should be on the left and the "1" should be on the side of the sharp edge. Here is a side by sid of my bayonet and an image from the internet....

post-158226-0-21237600-1435497217.jpg post-158226-0-64685400-1435497280.jpg

So I hope these images are helpful. Thanks in advance for any insight on this bayonet.

Time to rant, sorry...

This is my first post in this forum and the most frustrating post I have ever posted anywhere. This forums image posting methods and restrictions are ridiculous (250K is not enough for a good quality images). There are too many pinned "official" Threads on how to upload images properly. Some of the posted links are not even good links. What and where are the foums official how to documents or threads? There should only be on on the subject of photo posting. "Official" fourm instructions are not friendly at all to new users of this forum. The small size of the images prevent someone from zooming in and really inspection an Item in a pic. I think some pinned thread thinning and posting of updated "Official" intructions is in order. Sorry, but this is how I feel. I spent way too long reading Pinned threads to learn how to post a ridiculasly low quality image. Im sure I will be attacked by the die hard defenders of the fourm and thats ok. There is nothing wrong with this forum the info is good and most members seem very knowledgeable. I just feel that posting with out an image would almost be the same as posting with these low qualiaty pics. Because of this frustration, this will probably also be my last post to this fourm so thank you in advance for any information anyone may have concerning the above bayonet. Please, if I have over looked something, please let me know, I am not a computer graphic artist, I just want to learn and share information and pic of my hobby.

For whatever reason, Milpar marked their guards on the M5A1 both ways. So far I do not have enough information from packaging to try to determine if this was consistent within a certain contract, or was just a matter of random chance as to how the guard was inserted into the holder when the stamping was done. As it has no effect on the usefulness of the bayonet, I presume no one really cared.

As for the DAS stamp, Milpar did not begin production of the M5A1 until about the time that the use of this stamp was discontinued, and it is fairly unusual to find a Milpar with the stamp. Since Milpar did not begin to produce this bayonet until 1961, it is likely that a good part of their production did indeed go to other countries but some did go into US inventory as they have been found in some quantity in US surplus sales.

In the photo below, it might be noted that the guard on the bottom (similar to the one you purchased) has been double stamped. Again, this is something I have seen more than once on Milpar production. Probably just the result of newer workers.

As a side note to your problem with photo size, a single photo can be up to 500K or more than one can be posted as long as the total of all does not exceed 500K. Most of us get around that limit (and I won't get into a discussion as to why that is the limit, but there is a good reason) by posting more than one post in the thread.

post-66-0-88600400-1435502118.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

" a single photo can be up to 500K or more that one can be posted as long as the total does not exceed 500K. "

Thought it was 251K?

The total to 500K was changed awhile back.

When you hit More Reply Options, you should see that the line now reads

"You can upload up to 500K of files (Max. single file size 500K)"

next to the Attach This File line.

Thanks Bayonetman,

Your response was helpful. In your opinion, can you tell if this is a bayonet produced for service some where or as surplus? I cant point ot any sources now know as I would hae to hunt them down again but I saw a pic of milpar back cuts and Iguess they used a very swooping, tapered curve for the backcut on the surplus bayonets. This one is not like that. Any comments on this?

Thanks for the image posting tip. I will stick around and give that a try a few times. I think my frustration got the baetter of me at the end of my first post.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

The total to 500K was changed awhile back.

When you hit More Reply Options, you should see that the line now reads

"You can upload up to 500K of files (Max. single file size 500K)"

next to the Attach This File line.

You can upload up to 251K of files (Max. single file size: 251K)

That's all I see.

I have had the same problems, there is a resizer made for this forum, some times that don't work. I use a editor called irfran view and when I resize the picture there is a choice of resolution I select 1024x768 or 800x600 I will send you the link just let me know Mike

Sorry everyone, I was not aware that only Administrators and Moderators got the extra KB on the file sizes.

To resize to something that fits here, go to: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

So this is a good example of things that do not work. I tried this sight with an .jpg image I uploaded earlier and go this....

post-158226-0-94482400-1435530809.jpg