ETO Advanced base

nicolas75

It was the main Service of Supply unit for the ETO, hense the small ASF patch. They provided the "beans and bullets" to the troops.

-Ski

Thanks for your answer

for me the supplying was the Army service forces ??

same star but just on a round circle

Well, not exactly. The Army Sercice Forces in the US were indeed involved in the supply business. However, overseas, while the ETO patched units were supply oriented, they also handled a multitude of rear area jobs -- including hospitals, maintainance, ordnance depots, etc. These were behind the front line divisions, corps and armies -- remember, Napolean said "an army travels on its stomach!"

Service Commands were a different thing entirely. They occupied the pre-war "Corps Areas" when the Corps went to war. They processed draftees, operated stateside hospitals, provided MPs for POW and internment camps. Probably the only supply function the SC's had was for the initial issue of clothing to draftees.

G

Nicholas, you somewhat confused in your question, which may also be confusing to some of newer collectors.

Your patch is officially known as HQ, European Theater of Operations, US Army Communication Zone (HQ ETOUSA, COM-Z) and is known best by its shorter name, COM Z.

Gil Sanow did pretty nice job of answering your question regarding mission and role of COM Z. After the war ended, COM Z personnel were also charged with liquidating US assets in theater, redeploying personnel, and implementing occupation policies. The COM-Z patch also had tabs/scrolls representative of different locations in France and Germany - but these sub-elements of COM Z were all in the same supporting functions as listed by Mr. Snow. AD SEC for Advanced Section, OISE ('m sure you know where that is), WESTERN, CHANNEL, BREMERHAVEN, CHANOR, ENCLAVE were all such tabs, and am sure there are others.

15 June 1945, 9th US Army transferred all of its assets to COM Z - so there were infantry divisions, engineer battalions, artillery units, MP units, et al, that also wore the COM Z patch. I have tabs for 1st Military District and 503rd MP Bn and they go with COM Z patches. Again, am sure there are others.

greendevilsix

Tredhed2,

Would you please provide a photo of the 503rd MP BN tab. I was assigned to that BN for 9 years and have an intrest in its history. Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Jim

• 4 years later...

Would any of the tabs mentioned be worn with the first version of the HQ, ETO patch, the version that does not have the ASF as part of the design?

Would any of the tabs mentioned be worn with the first version of the HQ, ETO patch, the version that does not have the ASF as part of the design?

No, not as far as I know. The earlier version of the patch was supposedly worn in the UK before the invasion. The Advanced Base patch was worn after D-Day.

-Ski

No, not as far as I know. The earlier version of the patch was supposedly worn in the UK before the invasion. The Advanced Base patch was worn after D-Day.

-Ski

That's what I kinda figured. thanks!