1/35 M5A1 Stuart of Lt. Kenneth Malick

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

I'm close enough to being done (for the first time on a model in like 20 years!!!!) that I'm going to start the post. I did start this with my kids, but they're not too far along on their tanks, and I figured I needed to get this the heck out of the way before they finish theirs.

Anyways, a friend sold me the uniform of Lt. Malick, who was a platoon commander in B Co., 33rd Armored Regiment, 3rd Armored Division, though I did not find that out until after Geoff at Golden Arrow got me his records. I've spoken about him before in researching this project, but he was wounded on August 28, 1944. His medical records were pretty fascinating, as they included transcripts of his interview for discharge because of suffering what we would call a TBI today from shell fragments. Not sure if he was inside or outside of his tank when this happened.

I started with a Stuart model from Tamiya before I found out that they shortened it and left out a few details, and I attempted to fix those. I made weld seams from Testors cement and tried to actually make the welds with a tool. I also roughed up the edge of the hedgerow cutter as well to better resemble torch cut steel.

post-9670-0-36340900-1435415424.jpg

Garandomatic

I am thoroughly amazed at how quickly cost can add up when ordering aftermarket parts to make things "just right". A seller on ebay from Poland offers excellent machine gun barrels, which I bought. I will never again, however, use aftermarket tracks like these... This is basically why I am still not finished in July when it was started the previous September. The end results might pay off on a larger tank, but as I was hoping for some realistic sag an whatnot, there just wasn't any when I put the thing together.

post-9670-0-21313800-1435415731.jpg

Garandomatic

I intended to go all out with markings and spent several dollars on decal sets and whatnot, only to end up not using most because the dirt and filth would have obscured them totally. I did, however, have to make stencils for the side markings. FOrum members helped me figure out what should be there, though I never did add a nickname! Alas. You'll notice I had to do this twice. I hoped to use some acrylic that I had, but it peeled right off.

post-9670-0-68436100-1435416181.jpg

Garandomatic

One thing I dutifully tried to avoid was magnetic pack syndrome. Everything had to be plausible. Here, you see the sandbags, extra road wheel, and a procured board that the crew has used as a shelf. I cut this out from a larger piece, trued it up, and then tried to give it rough sawing marks with the knurled part of the X-Acto handle. Shame is, the dirt and whatnot kind of covered it up a little.. I used thread as rope to make sure things didn't bounce too much. Not perfect, as the stowage straps on this were exceedingly tedious to try to make right, but at least plausible.

post-9670-0-12271300-1435416430.jpg

Garandomatic

The crew has been painted in the method that I believe ProudKraut and a few others have posted on here, and I am very happy with the results. THe crew in this tank is from the Dragon set, and I hope it is not too far fetched that my commander is wearing the tanker coveralls. I don't know if they would be too hot for France in June-August 1944 or not, but they look OK, and I loved the pose of the figure. One thing I found is that it is very easy to get the pieces too dark, which was disappointing, as I made everything a shade off to reflect differences in suppliers, etc. We'll just say he's either kind of wet, or greasy.

I can't paint eyeballs yet. Not sure if I ever will.

post-9670-0-00412300-1435416915.jpg

Garandomatic

This fellow was also customized to an extent. The intended pose is a tanker carrying a Jerry can, but as I mixed up the posted to get what I want, I thought maybe he'd be approaching the tank, and maybe interacting with another of the crew. I drilled his leg and pegged the musette bag to it, made the strap from a sliver of Tamiya masking tape and primed it. I hope some dull coat flattens out the shine. Figured maybe he had something to do, and has his bag and canteen, and is approaching the tank.

post-9670-0-55578500-1435417047.jpg

Garandomatic

Here is the almost finished result. I used the Vallejo instructions on their US armored vehicle weathering kit, though I doubt I use the green wash. It tinted the decals excessively. I was shooting for Summer, 1944, and that this tank has blasted through a few hedgerows, run through wet grass, maybe some wet, muddy roads, and has a good bit of filth on it. I pictured some actual videos of the hedge cutter in action, so I thought some dirt laying on it would be appropriate, and would like to top it off with some branches, either added intentionally, or from punching a hole through a hedgerow. The ration box was a Tamiya fold up kit, and I hope they had cardboard ones in WWII... I topped it with a tarp I folded out of foil and painted, and have them and an ammo can tied down with "rope." I'll post a few more pictures soon.

post-9670-0-50440000-1435417342.jpg

Garandomatic

I used some of the brown wash to make some of the mud look wet, or at least moist, while other, older mud was dry. Here's the tracks. Not sure if the individual-freaking-630 total piece tracks were worth it...

post-9670-0-27599600-1435418154.jpg

Garandomatic

My idea for the vignette is to make about a 10" walnut base on my lathe and attach it to a stem and base, so that the whole thing rises above the stuff on my shelf in front of Malick's uniform, sort of like one of those cake stands... The backdrop will be a hedgerow, tank will be parked to the side of the road against it, and the crewman will be approaching the tank, possibly talking to the bow gunner, as the commander talks on the radio, presumably to mount up an head out. This shows the orientation, the driver figure will be mounted down in his open hatch.

Overall, I am pretty proud of myself on this old Tamiya kit.

post-9670-0-22380700-1435418359.jpg

Garandomatic

I really shouldn't close this for now without giving a broad thank you to all that have helped. Seeing others' work was not only inspiration, but if I had a dime for every time I posted that I was going to use someone's method or idea, well, I could buy another kit. MPGuy, Old Marine, ProudKraut, an more than a few others come to mind, but that is not in any means a complete list.

The backdrop for these recent pictures is going to go with a uniform that I am restoring at the moment. Crewman on the USS Bluegill for all 6 patrols.

Then, the M2 HT and M7 Priest for my 342nd Armored FA guy, then....

Awesome job! I love the detail you put into it. I have a set of dog tags to a tank commander that was in the same regiment. Always wanted to do a model like this of him in his M26 Pershing! But I don't have this kind of skill :(

Garandomatic

Like I said, I haven't finished a model since the 1990s, but in the meantime, I've dabbled here and there, and paid a lot of attention to others' skills since joining the forum. Really paid off, I think. I've really innovated nothing, and aside from being able to handle a few tiny brushes steadily from my days trying to learn pinstriping, I've just basically used the expertise of others!

strawberry 9

That looks great! Can't wait to see it after you get it in a base and complete. It's a long process but worth it in the end.

That's a great looking model. Nice details and I you did a good job on the weathering and dirt. Well done.

Hey G, that is an awesome Stuart tank. Great weathering technique along with the extra gear and the figures really brings this piece to life.

You did a magnificent job, I'm glad you were able to finish this model and post it.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Garandomatic

Thanks man! I really struggled with how much extra gear to try to stow. I figured a little would do, though I'd have used more if I thought my guy had a later model with the basket on the back.

M24 Chaffee

I enjoyed reading this thread and I think you did an outstanding job. This should be helpful for someone attempting to build a kit with this type of detail for the 1st time. Great tank and tankers!

Frank

Garandomatic

Thanks! Getting the hang of drybrushing that buff color that the Vallejo kit comes with for highlights was one of the best things in the process, and then combining that with the brown wash and pigment. Excellent results. One of the last tanks I made was an M4A1 Sherman, which I believe was an Italeri or Dragon kit. It turned out pretty decent for the time, but pigment has really changed the game.

Now, if I could just find a Sherman tank crewman's uniform so I could build one of those!

Now, if I could just find a Sherman tank crewman's uniform so I could build one of those!

Well done - and keep looking, you'll find one. Look at every Ike on ebay that has armored patches. Many times you'll find a gem with a name or laundry number hiding in the pictures ;)