Tribute to a 3/187 Infantry Vietnam Rakkasan, & photos of 187 RCT drinking cup in Vietnam

RegularsByGod

RegularsByGod

Blazer badge for 3/187 Rakkasans and beside it scan of artwork it was made from.

In 2009 Sloan placed an order with Vive Style International in Sialkot, Pakistan to embroider this badge to his specifications. I believe he got the artwork from the 187th Airborne Infantry Regiment Association website. It is not the official coat of arms for the Regiment.

Sloan ordered fifty of these and gave them out at the next Rakkasan reunion (2008-2010?) I believe he placed another order a year or so later for additional pieces and those went to members of the Regiment Association as well. I don't believe Sloan ever charged his Rakkasan brothers for these..........he just simply gave them away.

post-52735-0-92607300-1435222793.jpg

post-52735-0-08945100-1435222803.jpg

RegularsByGod

A graphic representation (which I made for Sloan's son-in-law) of the items which would go in a shadow box for Timothy T. Sloan. (I'm not a graphic artist so I apologize up front for the amateurish graphic with items out of proportion to each other.)

Decorations include:

Combat Infantryman Badge, Silver Star Medal, Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal, Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Service Star, Vietnam Service Medal with Silver Service Star, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Louisiana National Guard Emergency Service Medal, Louisiana Veterans Honor Medal.

Air Assault Badge, Expert Marksmanship Qualification Badge with Rifle and Pistol Bars, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon with numeral 2, Presidential Unit Citation, Meritorious Unit Citation, Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation, Vietnam Civil Actions Honor Medal Unit Citation, four Overseas bars, 187th Infantry DUI, officers collar brass.

Rank attained by Sloan during his Army career: PV2, PFC, SP4, SP5, 2LT, 1LT, CPT, MAJ, LTC

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of Active Duty Army Units, Army Reserve Units and National Guard Units to which Sloan was assigned during his 26 year Army career.

post-52735-0-34036700-1435223732.jpg

RegularsByGod

Lieutenant Colonel Timothy T. Sloan many years after his retirement with his personal ride.

Tim Sloan died in October 2013 at the age of 67 and is buried in Port Hudson National Cemetery, Louisiana, along with his first wife Helen who he lost nine years earlier. Tim was a great Soldier and leader, a terrific husband and father, and an extremely friendly and likeable guy to everyone who met him.

Tim and I shared a bond of having served in Vietnam at the same time, though I was in the middle of the country in II Corps with 1/22nd Infantry while he was up north in I Corps with 3/187th Infantry.

I am honored to have known him and called him my friend for nearly 30 years.

Damn few left.

post-52735-0-06852100-1435224197.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Company E 3/187 gathered around Company sign at Camp Evans, Vietnam 1971.

I may be in this photo. Low resolution makes it hard to tell. I was Sloans RTO much of the time. Sorry to hear about his passing.

• 7 months later...

Had the honor of serving with him, remember him as the former NCO who served as MP earlier in Country.

Had not seen the Company sign for many years and it did bring back lot of memories, as well as his wearing the 3/187th pocket patch on cammies!

Just had some made before I got hit and had not seen many of them since then. Shortly after I got hit, the Company came home and the guys with time left in Country got moved over to the 1st Cav.

Jim Monroe

E Co, 3/187th Inf (Recon)

a proud Rakkasan!

last call sign 13 Echo