DI worn by John Wayne in Wartime Film Back to Bataan, What is it?

patches

post-34986-0-63577200-1434851276.jpg

What's this DI Giovanni Wayne is wearing, Got me stumped, is a phony one or is it for a legit unit??? It also looks like a cloth one right, not metal but cloth.

attachicon.gifa_wa1121.jpg

What's this DI Giovanni Wayne is wearing, Got me stumped, is a phony one or is it for a legit unit??? It also looks like a cloth one right, not metal but cloth.

Directly embroidered on the cap like the U.S. officer BOS, a Pre War PI trait, but wait, the rank is supposed to go on that side, pre war-early war officers did wear DIs on the garrison caps, but they're seen on the right side with the rank on the left, interesting huh.

He also appears to have a direct embroidered U.S. on his collar, so likely he had embroidered BOS on the other side.

The cap has officer's braid on it, so wear of the DUI instead of rank may have been something unique to the PI.

I gonna look for more images to see if there's a photo that shows the BOS on the other coller, maybe that might help.

I gonna look for more images to see if there's a photo that shows the BOS on the other coller, maybe that might help.

Ech couldn't fine one to see the other collar. Also checked known units of U.S.A and PS' to see their DIs, nothing resembling this DI on the cap. There are two other PS units I can't fine DIs for, that is if they ever had one, these being the 86th Field Artillery Regiment (PS) and the 88th Field Artillery Regiment (PS).

Wow I should have my eyes examined, I got a tip that it's the 57th Infantry (PS), and he was right, I guess it was the slight redesign of it in this cloth form that threw me, note the one Wayne is wearing has a rounded bottom to the shield and plus the oblique view of it.

post-34986-0-64255500-1434933800.jpg

Just saw this. It is the 57th inf. Studios made insignia based on real insignia when they could not obtain the real McCoy which could explain the difference in the motto shape.

I have seen one direct emb DI in 50+ years of collecting.

• 4 months later...

I'm impressed that the studio got this one accurately.

Here is a photo of 57th Infantry PS officers in 1941, with embroidered DUI's. L-R: Lt. Olson, Col. Edmund Lilly (CO), and Lt. Langdon

post-2532-0-11421100-1445964668.jpg

I'm impressed that the studio got this one accurately.

Here is a photo of 57th Infantry PS officers in 1941, with embroidered DUI's. L-R: Lt. Olson, Col. Edmund Lilly (CO), and Lt. Langdon

I can't seem to edit my post anymore... correction. Col. Lilly became CO later during the Bataan siege. Col. Clarke was the CO before the war and early in the campaign.