Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

Feather detail.

#77 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,000
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:36 PM

All except two of my wings are shown here; one of which is attached to a uniform, and the other is part of a small grouping. I still have room for a few more examples in this case.

#78 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,077 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

All except two of my wings are shown here; one of which is attached to a uniform, and the other is part of a small grouping. I still have room for a few more examples in this case.

Great display... of course you always do great displays so, I'll have to come up with another metaphor to proclaim the awesomeness of your displays! ;)

#79 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

Great display... of course you always do great displays so, I'll have to come up with another metaphor to proclaim the awesomeness of your displays! ;)

Thank you Scott. Your compliments and metaphors are always welcomed and appreciated. Until recently, I had these in a Riker display case, but with my recent frequency of purchases, this works better for wings.

#80 brian e

brian e
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,718
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

A recent pickup. The line/scratch across the shield is the result of a nasty hit. My research, and conversation with others places this style from the 1920 to WWII era. The wing is very thin as shown in the comparison photo with the nickel. The wing measures 2 13/16'' from wing tip to wing tip.

bitchen wing! pin up is a very cool background plus all your photos are extremley well done thanks for sharing
brian

#81 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

bitchen wing! pin up is a very cool background plus all your photos are extremley well done thanks for sharing
brian

Thank you Brian. This is finely detailed but the wing is for lack of a better phrase..."dainty". It is so thin and light, it could easily been broken or bent in wear, perhaps this is why it was not a popular design for wear. As for the dame, I found this particular cutie :love: http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/naughty.gif amongst some items given to me after my grandfather's passing.

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST, 24 December 2008 - 09:04 PM.

#82 Plant#4

Plant#4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,156
  • 660 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

Feather detail.

The detail makes this wing outstanding. Congrats for giving it a new home! Once again your photography is outstanding. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif
Dave

#83 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

The detail makes this wing outstanding. Congrats for giving it a new home! Once again your photography is outstanding. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif
Dave

Thank you Dave...much appreciated.

#84 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

http://www.usmilitar...d...c=28884&hl=

Above is a link to Herbert A. Peterson inscribed memorial wing.

#85 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,519
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

Thank you Brian. This is finely detailed but the wing is for lack of a better phrase..."dainty". It is so thin and light, it could easily been broken or bent in wear, perhaps this is why it was not a popular design for wear. As for the dame, I found this particular cutie :love: http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/naughty.gif amongst some items given to me after my grandfather's passing.

Hey Steve,

In my various conversations with my other wing collecting buddies, a consensus seems to be developing that this particular pattern was actually a bit of patriotic jewelry, rather than a military badge. I have a similar wing that came out of Mrs Alice Cobb's scrap book that she kept while her husband was overseas.

He was an enlisted mechanic, and was not a member of an aircrew. Still, she had a pair of wings that she wore in this pattern.

First, the wings and some patches she had. The wing is the same general pattern as yours. Right now, I don't have a good close-up.

The back showing the names.

Of course, this doesn't prove that ALL these wings were sweetheart jewelry, but it does suggest that is the case. Still, in any case, it remains a very nice and handsome wing.

Patrick

Attached Images

• cobb_group.jpg
  • cobb_wing.jpg

#86 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

Then, of course, here is a snapshot of Alice actually wearing the wing!

All this was in a very nice scrap book that she kept while he was away. The bullion patches and wings were scotch-taped in the book.

Attached Images

• alice.jpg

#87 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

I think some of the grey areas around this wing pattern is that is it similar to teh BB&B pattern from the 20's. Although I do not have it in have for a close inspection I think this is a wing made by the White Company from Mass.

If memory serves me I think I know someone with a period photo of a pilot wearing one or at least has a biographical uniform group with the same wing.

John

Edited by John Cooper, 02 January 2009 - 02:01 PM.

#88 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

Hey John,

I have yet to see any photo of a guy wearing this particular wing. I would love to see that, as this is one of the reasons I always found this particular wing to be more in the "sweetheart" camp as opposed to the military badge camp.

All the ones I have seen (including the BB&B badges) could be bent in your hand. They are pretty thing and "dainty" as Steve says.

Also, for a 1920's wing, when the USAAC was pretty small, this wing, including the BB&B version, is rather common. To be honest, I have never really seen any proof that this wing is actually from the 20's or 30's. Not to say it isnt true, just that I have noticed some of the "dating" of wings seem to be more based on lore rather than actually proof.

In absence of either a picture of a guy wearing a wing like this, or some provenance to a 1920's pilot, I always ask myself....how rare is this wing?

Yet, this is still a beauty of a wing, and in my experience they value of these wings seems to be in their design and workmanship. So, I dont want to sound like I am putting this wing down in anyway.

#89 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

Patrick - If I can find the photo or request another... I will see about posting it here. Your point about the BB&B is spot on now that I think of it... I think it is common "lore" these are from the 20-30s but without a photo or some other proof we may never know. As for rare I do not think it would fall into this area since I seen them several times a year on Ebay.

John

#90 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

John and Patrick,

You both make some interesting points and observations. Over the past 3 months alone, I have seen 4 of these on eBay. That in itself makes me think that they just may have been "unpopular" and not necessarily rare. I have also seen these on a site or two listing them as 1920's era, and the price was over $500.00!!! Another one I saw somewhere, had a gold wash, and had the same basic hardware setup on the one in Patrick's sweetheart example. It was described as a 1930's instructor wing...

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST, 02 January 2009 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users