• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,000
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:59 AM

I decided to start a thread featuring the wings in my collection. I am starting with two examples, and will post additional future pieces here when a new arrival lands so this thread can serve as a chronological progression. I am not planning to have an "accumulation", instead I only want a few quality pieces. My interests lie in pre-WW I through WWII Pilot series and Aerial Gunner 3 inch examples, focusing on the earlier war pieces with a pin fastening setup. I am glad to share what I have, and hope you enjoy seeing them.

This first wing is an incredibly thick pre to early WWII massive example. It is approximately twice the thickness of example with the reverse of the shield scooped out.

#2 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

The reverse (as you might have guessed). A beautiful palette for engraving...I only wish that someone would have used it for that http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif

#3 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:02 AM

The very tiny, and double struck sterling mark located high center on the shield.

#4 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:04 AM

The catch....Robert style ;) .

#5 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:04 AM

And the hinged end.

#6 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

A little shield detail...

#7 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:09 AM

Last one for this wing. A visual reference of how thick this example is...and a hint at what I will be posting next.

#8 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,079 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

Very nice! Interesting double stike on the "Sterling". I like the high detail that you've got in your pictures. Looking forward to seeing more of these.

#9 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:23 AM

Next up is an Amcraft wing from the 1930's with that beautiful snowflake pattern that I love so much.

#10 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:26 AM

The reverse...it's snowing in Texas. :D

#11 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:27 AM

The mark.

#12 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:28 AM

The catch, which I might add is sort of a flimsy arrangement.

#13 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hinge.

#14 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:30 AM

And a little shield detail...

#15 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:31 AM

From the other side...I love how this one came out.

#16 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:33 AM

Well, there you have it, This represents my ENTIRE wing collection as of 8/1/08 ... :unsure: ;) . I look forward to posting more in the future.

#17 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

In my initial posting, I meant to say that my interests lie in WW I, pre-WWII, WWII Pilot series and WWII Aerial Gunner 3 inch examples, focusing on the earlier war pieces with a pin fastening setup.

#18 Paul S

Paul S
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,515
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:57 AM

Seeing the close up of your AMCRAFT snowflake reverse, reminded me of a question...the AMCRAFT mark looks soft relative to many of the die struck marks. I had a bracelet some time back that was plated and the plating was coming off, and with it, the snowflakes...they had been impressed in the plating material rather than being a part of the original wing die strike. That kind of surprised me, but I wonder if all of these wings might not have been made that way...I haven't had many of them, so I don't have much experience from which to judge. I think these were made by AMCRAFT and Balfour in various metallic contents.

Paul S.

#19 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:06 AM

Seeing the close up of your AMCRAFT snowflake reverse, reminded me of a question...the AMCRAFT mark looks soft relative to many of the die struck marks. I had a bracelet some time back that was plated and the plating was coming off, and with it, the snowflakes...they had been impressed in the plating material rather than being a part of the original wing die strike. That kind of surprised me, but I wonder if all of these wings might not have been made that way...I haven't had many of them, so I don't have much experience from which to judge. I think these were made by AMCRAFT and Balfour in various metallic contents.

Paul S.

Hi Paul. that is a really interesting way of applying the flakes. I really don't know too much about these but I have given some thought as to why the flakes are even there but if your wings had this characteristic then my below theory doesn't make sense??

I had wondered if it was to assist in a clean release upon striking? These are fairly thin wings - brass, plated in silver, the flakes are definitely part of the base metal on this one. If the flakes were for aesthetic purposes, you don't see them when worn so why go through the extra trouble of tooling a die? I have also wondered if initially, a flat or smooth die was used but resulted in a messy or uneven strike, and that is the reason for their existence?

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST, 01 August 2008 - 10:07 AM.

#20 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Great start to your collection!

The thoughts on the snowflake pattern are interesting. As far as I am aware being pre-war brass was available for making wings and produced a very clean strike. I wonder if there was a reason to have some pattern on the reverse due to the die striking process or due to the specifics of the metal being used.

Some research is in order here...

John

#21 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

Here is a new arrival, and is of the late 1930's period from what I understand. This is probably my favorite wing in this design. I really like the Amcraft snowflake I posted here, but this LGB beats it in heft and quality; it is thick. The patina on this wing is beautiful. The seller told me that this wing and the Wolfe Brown ribbons were all purchased together at an estate sale recently. They were bought mounted on this old velvet covered piece of cardboard. When I removed them, I could tell from the bright color behind, and the fading around the wings and ribbons, that they had been there a looooooong time. I only wish I had a name to go with them. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif Due to increasing theft of photos for dishonest practices, I have decided to place a banner on my uploads. I have tried to place it both in a position where it doesn't distract from the details but still makes it difficult for a dishonest party to use.

This is how the wings were found.

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST, 15 August 2008 - 05:53 PM.

#22 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

Feeling a little artistic tonight... :love:

#23 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts