• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,519
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:45 AM

Last one. I think this is one of the nicer 3D wings I have seen. Flat images on a scanner or photo really don't give the true impression of the wings in person.

Attached Images

• wingvaulting3.jpg

#52 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

This is a new (to me) Dallas wing. At least a few different variations of these wings are known. On I call the multi-feather wing, and this version, the 3-winged version. So named because of the feathers in the shoulders of the wings. The 3-winged version has three feathers... you see the point.

Interestingly, it is the 3-winged version that seems to have been the most heavily faked of the Dallas wings.

This wing is pretty dirty, and the scans don't do it justice. Dirt, old polishing gunk, and some of the residual original frosting makes it hard to see the fine details unless you have it in hand. Also, this one was clearly worn, which is the way I like them, just a bit salty.

Attached Images

• 3wingeddallas.jpg

#53 bschwartz

bschwartz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,185
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

Another beauty Patrick. I really need to start shopping the same places you shop. A bit longer drive for me than you but I should be able to make it in about a day and a half.

#54 Paul C.

Paul C.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 182
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:59 AM

Patrick,

And just were is it you shop again ? :whistling:

Paul

#55 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

Patrick,

And just were is it you shop again ? :whistling:

Paul

This one came off of ebay, gents. :thumbsup:

An auction that ran a few times actually. I was kind of surprised it didn't sell either time. The pictures weren't great, but they weren't that bad either, so I made an offer.

P

#56 CliffP

CliffP
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,542
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

This wing is pretty dirty, and the scans don't do it justice. Dirt, old polishing gunk, and some of the residual original frosting makes it hard to see the fine details unless you have it in hand. Also, this one was clearly worn, which is the way I like them, just a bit salty.

Wow!

Well, if one looks close enough they can see that under that dirt, etc, is a beautiful Eisenstadt badge with little if any real sign of wear to it. We all know you don't like to clean 'um but if you should ever change your mine it would look simply "M-A-R-V-E-L-O-U-S"!!!!!

A great find.

;)

Edited by CliffP, 06 October 2010 - 10:54 AM.

#57 Paul C.

Paul C.
  • Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:52 AM

Question, I recently picked up a Dallas very similar to Patrick's , Here is a stupid question, but is the US gold or plated sterling?

Mine....
Dallas_20wing.jpg

Edited by Paul C., 06 October 2010 - 10:53 AM.

#58 CliffP

CliffP
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,542
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

Question, I recently picked up a Dallas very similar to Patrick's , Here is a stupid question, but is the US gold or plated sterling?

Paul,

What you have is an example made by Bailey, Banks & Biddle. The letters US should be made of gold only, but if left in less than ideal conditions for a long period of time it is not unusual through direct contact for a sterling silver badge to also tarnish the gold letters to such an extent that they too might appear to be silver.

If you don't want to remove the tarnish you can take the badge to a jeweler and have them test the letters in order to find out if they are indeed gold or if you are willing to clean the letters just rub a little Wright's Silver Scream on them. Don't worry it won't harm the gold.

Cliff

#59 Paul C.

Paul C.
  • Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

Paul,

What you have is an example made by Bailey, Banks & Biddle. The letters US should be made of gold only, but if left in less than ideal conditions for a long period of time it is not unusual through direct contact for a sterling silver badge to also tarnish the gold letters to such an extent that they too might appear to be silver.

If you don't want to remove the tarnish you can take the badge to a jeweler and have them test the letters in order to find out if they are indeed gold or if you are willing to clean the letters just rub a little Wright's Silver Scream on them. Don't worry it won't harm the gold.

Cliff

Cliff,

Clean , me NEVER ! Actually I would like the gold to show a little more, I can see it under the loupe...
Thanks!

Paul

#60 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

This one came off of ebay, gents. :thumbsup:

An auction that ran a few times actually. I was kind of surprised it didn't sell either time. The pictures weren't great, but they weren't that bad either, so I made an offer.

P

Well for me is was a question of funds... damn I should not have bought the new car but the wife said DO IT! :) Glad to see another beauty find a gret home!

John

#61 hawk3370

hawk3370
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,022
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

Second, here is a very nice set of bullion wings that I think may be English made. In fact, a couple of very similar wings are illustrated in the Morris book. I counted about 6-7 different types of bullion thread used in this wing. It is rather large (about 3.5 inches). you cant see it here, but from the side, the shield is padded and sticks up almost an inch from the wing. Later, I will try to get some side on photos.

I got this one because I think it is one of the nicest bullion wings I have ever seen.

Patrick,
Dead on with the Brit designation. I have two sets both from aviators that purchased them in England during the war. Beautiful wings one of my favorite. Nice find.
Terry

#62 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:11 AM

I took a few minutes to scan a family of Dallas wings.

Attached Images

• dallas_family.jpg

#63 Paul C.

Paul C.
  • Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

I took a few minutes to scan a family of Dallas wings.

Now you're just showing off! :lol:

Great wings as always!!

#64 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

VERY COOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users