A Family Peppered Through History: My new additions

Gator

I must first start with the past contributions of this family to tell the whole story of Col. Andral Bratton. The Bratton name is peppered throughout the history of our country’s battles going all the way back to the Revolutionary War.

Andral’s great-great grandfather, Col. William Bratton (1740-1815) was one of 5 Bratton brothers John, Robert, Thomas, Hugh and one sister Jean Bratton Guy who came to York County S.C. in the 1700 before the revolution. Andrew was born in Antrium Co Ireland 1686 and married Audrea. William Bratton Married Martha Robinson. Robison Robertson spelled three ways. The Brattons started settling in York County April 22, 1766 when Thomas purchased land in York County on South Fork of Fishing Creek. All five brothers and Jean Bratton Guy eventually settled all around each other.

Colonel William Bratton's obituary appeared in the Charleston City Gazette on Feb. 28,1815. "Died on the 9th of Feb. 1815, in York District, Col. William Bratton, in the 72 year of his age. He was one of the old Revolutionary characters worthy to be remembered. He was one of the heroes of'76, who bravely defended the rights of our country, and was instrumental in procuring for us the blessings of freedom and independence. He was a fine patriot, and had naturally a strong love for independence. Under a well-regulated government, he was a good citizen, but could not tamely submit to the encroachments of any man or body of men, on his perfects rights. His services were zealously devoted to his country through the Revolutionary War, and for many years afterwards in the Legislature. Through a long and active life, he generally enjoyed good health, possessing a good constitution and a firm mind judicious and intrepid in the execution of his plans. At length he was taken with a lingering disease which terminated his existence. It may be truly said of him, that he was strictly honest, virtuous, good man. He was exemplary in his integrity, benevolent and friendly in his position ever ready to relieve the distressed and help the needy. He has left a widow and a numerous family, besides a large circle of friends and acquaintances to lament his loss. [1]

During his service, Col Wm. Bratton was present at the following engagements:

Mobley’s Meeting House, 27th May, 1780

Huck’s Defeat, 12th July, 1780

Fishdam, 9th November, 1780

Blackstock, 20th November, 1780

At Williamson’s Plantation (Huck’s Defeat) with only 133 men, he fell upon and defeated a force of 400 well mounted and well equipped British cavalry under Captain Christian Huck. This was the first single advantaged gained over the Royal forces since they landed and the result of the engagement had an important effect on the morale of the Revolutionary Forces in South Carolina. Just prior to the engagement at Huck’s Defeat, Mrs. Martha Bratton, the wife of Colonel Bratton, was captured. Thought threatened with death, she refused to betray the location of her husband or any of his men. A monument erected by the King’s Mountain Chapter of the DAR marks the field of Huck’s Defeat and commemorates the courage of the Colonel and Mrs. Bratton. Martha Bratton is a story all in her own (http://www.womenhistoryblog.com/2010/10/martha-bratton.html)

Continuing forward, Col Wm. Bratton was the grand father of Dr. James Rufus Bratton (1821-1897) who served as surgeon with the 5th South Carolina Volunteers, General Michah Jenkins Brigade during the Civil War. His is an interesting story marked by a dark time in our country’s history during the Reconstruction.

During the war, Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy, spent the night of April 27, 1865, in the home of Dr. James Rufus Bratton. Davis, in danger of capture and arrest by Federal troops, was attempting to reach some remnant of the Confederate Army in the South or West with which he could find protection and continue the war.

http://www.rootsandrecall.com/york-county-sc/buildings/35-south-congress-street/

In the post era of the war there arose the beginnings of the KKK of which James Rufus Bratton became a Grand Cyclops. As the story goes he fled to Canada to escape murder warrants and took up residence in a London, Ontario rooming house in 1872. American detectives pursued him there, chloroformed him, put him on a train to Windsor, and charged him with murder as soon as they got him over the border. Outraged that the surgeon had been taken with violence from under the protection of the British flag, Canadian authorities and newspaper publishers called for Dr Bratton’s immediate release and return to Canada. Anxious to defuse the situation, US Marshals sent Dr. Bratton back to Canada.

This brings us to Andral’s father, Thomas Sumter Bratton Sr. (1868-1950) who served as a Colonel in the Medical Corp during WWI. Sadly I have not been able to find out much about him but finally brings us to Andral’s story and contribution to our country. I have not been able to find references for his service during his enlistment years but I was able to discover his contributions as an officer during WWII thanks in part to his SAR Application.

Andral was commissioned as a 2nd Lt of the Field Artillery on July 05, 1924, 1st Lt. by May 16, 1930; Captain as of August 1, 1935, then Major on June 15, 1941, then Lt. Col on December 24, 1941 and lastly Colonel on January 7, 1945.

As a result of his service, Andral was entitled to the following:

-Asiatic/Pacific Campaign Medal with 2 bronze battle stars and arrowhead (New Guinea and Leyte Campaigns)

-Philippine Liberation Medal with bronze star

-Bronze Star Medal with citation

-American Defense Medal with Foreign Service Clasp

-American Campaign

-WWI Victory Medal

I am also trying to find out more about his son, Thomas S Bratton, whose two USMCR tags you see. I know, from Ancestry, that he served from ’51 to ’52 but then disappears.

This is no way tells the whole story of this family as there are other brothers, cousins, uncles, etc that served with distinction. All one has to do is search their names on the internet and you will be blessed with stories.

[1] Michael C. Scoggins a historian from York County, S.C

post-5028-0-78409500-1433549707.jpg

post-5028-0-12308100-1433549716.jpg

post-5028-0-62878300-1433549741.jpg

post-5028-0-97766700-1433549757.jpg

post-5028-0-29994300-1433549782.jpg

Guys,

Thanks for reading my post and for your comments.

It really was a pleasure in learning about thus family and their contributions.

Mark

Leigh,

Thanks. I had a great time researching and discovering those facts above. The family really did play a part in our country's history.

Mark

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Thomas Bratton was my father. He was set to go to Korea, but got a honorable discharge because his wife (my mother) was not expected to live. He passed away 8/28/14. Ironically, my mother still liveth!