• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GI GENE

GI GENE
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 3,754
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

I am currently writing a book about the OSS for Osprey Publishing. One key component of this book will be the weapons that were used by OSS personnel. This includes standard issue weapons like Carbines, Thompsons, and Springfields, and special weapons like the HiStandard Silenced Pistol and the Silenced M3 Grease Gun. I really would like to know how they were used in the context of OSS operations, either in direct combat or supplying them to resistance groups.

For any OSS veterans reading this, I would like to please know the
following:

Which weapons did you carry in the field?
What were your likes/dislikes of its performance while conducting OSS
operations?
What branch were you in? (ie, SI, SO, OG, MU, etc)
When and where were you in the field while conducting OSS operations?

All who submit accounts will be kept anonymous, and will not be
mentioned by name in the book.

If you can help, please email me at [email protected]
or send me a letter to:

Gene Liptak
PO Box 36841
Tucson, AZ 85740

Any information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Best,

Gene

#2 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

Hi Gene:

That sounds like an interesting project. Good luck with it.

I suspect that the number of surviving OSS veterans is small and it is surely getting smaller by the day. One survivor who comes to mind, and with first hand knowledge of OSS weapons use, is John Brunner. You are probably aware that John is the author of a number of weapons related books, including the leading work on the subject of Colt Pocket Hammerless Pistols.

Please don't forget to mention in your writing the OSS use of the S&W Victory Model Revolvers in .38 Special and .38 s&W (.38-200). The OSS purchased quite a few of both. Some were used by the OSS and some were distributed by OSS to underground partisans and other indigenous irregular allied forces.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#3 J_Andrews

J_Andrews
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,689
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:35 PM

Please make distinctions between arms and equipment:

1. Developed, adopted and produced specifically for the OSS (in the OSS supply catalog or documented in
OSS files) Example: the Beano grenade and Hi-Standard suppressed pistol
2. Civilian and foreign (British and enemy) types
a. acquired by OSS, in ZI or overseas, and actually ISSUED within OSS (possibly not documented)
Example: British WELROD pistol
b. scrounged/assumed by OSS assets/individuals (probably not documented, but described or attributed
anecdotally)
3. US Government, civilian and military (Navy and War Dept) types generally available and used by OSS
Example: UD M-42 SMG, Colt pocket model and .38 Super auto pistols (civilian types), as well as the
gamut of M-1 carbines, SMGs, etc.

Other than in John Brunner's works such distinctions are not made, and wishful thinking takes over. Thus, for example, the infamous "OSS Machete" canard is spread. This has been fully documented as a USAAF survival kit item (gray parkerized, black plastic grips by Cruver) -- and not even a true machete but rather a bolo, Filipino-style, in form. Because somebody once found one in the effects of Uncle Norman who was in the CBI and allegedly part of OSS does not make it "OSS", any more than the Gillette razor or Arisaka bayonet thate were also in his footlocker. Then too, maybe a little research would show that Norm was in "Special Services" as a swimming instructor in Calcutta.....

#4 SFC

SFC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,009
  • 878 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:46 AM

I am currently writing a book about the OSS for Osprey Publishing. One key component of this book will be the weapons that were used by OSS personnel. This includes standard issue weapons like Carbines, Thompsons, and Springfields, and special weapons like the HiStandard Silenced Pistol and the Silenced M3 Grease Gun. I really would like to know how they were used in the context of OSS operations, either in direct combat or supplying them to resistance groups.For any OSS veterans reading this, I would like to please know thefollowing:Which weapons did you carry in the field?What were your likes/dislikes of its performance while conducting OSSoperations?What branch were you in? (ie, SI, SO, OG, MU, etc)When and where were you in the field while conducting OSS operations?All who submit accounts will be kept anonymous, and will not bementioned by name in the book.If you can help, please email me at [email protected] or send me a letter to:Gene LiptakPO Box 36841Tucson, AZ 85740Any information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.Thank you.Best,Gene

Gene I dont know if this is the kind of info your'e looking for but here goes Henrik

Attached Images

• scan0002.jpg
  • scan0007.jpg

Edited by SFC, 01 August 2008 - 03:56 AM.

#5 SFC

SFC
  • Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:46 AM

GeneI dont know if this is the kind of info your'e looking but here goesHenrik

#6 SFC

SFC
  • Members
  • 878 posts