Tonkin Gulf Aero Club patch

This picture is from ebay for an auction for this patch recently. I had not seen this design before and I am not the best at identifying aircraft silhouettes so I was wondering if anyone knew what this jet was or if it is even a real jet. Thanks!

post-2744-0-26676400-1433384420.jpg

Patchcollector

I saw that on eBay,threw a bid on it but did'nt win.Aero Club patches are authentic,and were made during the war.This is a nice variation that I had never before seen.

firefighter

I would like to see the back.Like I said it looks Japanese made.Not sure if that type of a/c was used durn the Vietnam War.Not saying it's not real but I have never seen an authentic one in a book or on a uniform.

Patchcollector

I think that the bird on the patch is probably a Sabreliner,which were used during the Vietnam war to ferry around the big brass,among other tasks,some of which fell under the "Scatback" moniker.

Here is some info on "Scatback" :

“Scatback” was the in-theater classified courier airlift system transporting elements of the daily HQ 7th Air Force FRAG order, pre-strike/gun camera/BDA photos, Intel papers, official mail, small cargo and passengers in a courier program predating what we now know (generically) as FedEx®. Scatback also provide DV/VIP combat airlift throughout the SEA theater of operation.

post-13386-0-96851700-1433470233.jpg

post-13386-0-79470800-1433470238.jpg

firefighter

Thats the a/c I was looking for.I knew it wasn't a trainer but couldn't find it.I have never seen an AF jacket or flight suit with a TONKIN anything club patch.Mainly because they didn't fly over the Gulf, except B-52s & maybe refuelers.I don't think to many of these a/c's flew in the north part of North Vietnam.

What does being made in Japan have to do with anything? Just asking. These sorts of patches were made everywhere (except maybe the US). Japan, Philipenes, Thiland, Taiwan, Korea, wherever US Military might pass through, there were shops set up to sell this stuff. I see the term "Theater Made" used in reference to these sorts of patches. Aren't they really all "Theater Made" since they are not official, regulation or even made in the U.S.? Just asking. In the '70s, every port I pulled into all over Asia had "Tonkin Gulf Yatch Club", or "South East Asia Hunting Party" patches (don't remember Areo Club). During/after the First Gulf War, you could get some sort of novelty "Been There" patch in every port or out side every base. Even the ones you sometimes find sold in the little kiosks or the "Service Pride" sections in the Exchanges come from Japan or China. Again, not trying to be argumentative, just asking

firefighter

I said Japanese made because thats what it looks like.All I was trying to say it doesn't look like a modern copy that you see on eBay.I too was in the Pacific.Was stationed in the PI for 2 years and have been to Korea and Okinawa.I don't ever remember seeing an AERO CLUB either.Never had patches made but have seen hundreds of different variations of unit patches from Clark, Subic, Osan, & Kadena.Yes they are unofficial but not all were THEATER made.Some were made in the USA durn the Vietnam War, not many but some.When I say THEATER made I'm talking about Korea, Japan, PI, Thailand, Taiwan, etc..

Patchcollector

I still don't think any of them flew off carriers and went into the Gulf of Tonkin.

I'm not sure whether they operated from carriers or not;as one of their duties was ferrying the brass around it is'nt farfetched to think they could have,and any plane that flew over,or in the vicinity of,the Tonkin Gulf area would qualify for a title such as "Tonkin Gulf Aero Club".

I do agree with you that the patch appears to be Japanese made.I think that the reason that the "Tonkin Gulf Aero Club" pieces are much scarcer than the "Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club" patches is because there were alot more Navy personnel on ships than Aircrews,so the bulk of the patches bought would naturally be the "Yacht Club" variety.

Patchcollector

When I bid on this item I recalled seeing some additional info regarding this patch so I searched out and found the auction.Here is what the seller had in his description:

Tonkin Gulf Aero Club Jacket Patch--Japanese Mfg

Original Vietnam-era US Navy Tonkin Gulf Aero Club flight jacket patch, Japanese mfg full embr cut edge construction with white linen backing and light lacquer coating on back. Measures 4 7/8 inches. Came from a man who was in VW-1/VQ-1 during the Vietnam war. Never been used, guaranteed original and is in excellent condition. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Please check my other auctions for more patches from the same man.

So this patch belonged to someone that was in a Navy Aviation unit during the Vietnam war,which makes perfect sense.

I also know that this eBay seller is very reputable and always has some nice authentic Military items for sale.

Here is a link to the completed auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Navy-Tonkin-Gulf-Aero-Club-Flight-Jacket-Patch-Japan-Mfg-NICE-/201355078414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee1b2ab0e&nma=true&si=cNwgGWSK78Yyz0OBNwbJxkcuAZg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is a back pic from the auction

post-13386-0-91618900-1433529157.jpg

Thank you everyone for your input on this patch, I really do appreciate the additionally 'Scatback' information as well as the identification of the aircraft in question. For better or worse I did up with this patch in question and here is a little closer photo. I too think it is Japanese made, I just had never seen before.

post-2744-0-99550200-1433545408.jpg

River Patrol

Nice Japanese made novelty patch....these came in other styles and club names, etc.

Steve

x28.jpg

firefighter

Thats cool.I'm glad it's an original Vietnam War era patch.I have never seen an original one before.I thought the reproductions were a 'fantasy' item.Keeping my eyes out for one of these now.

River Patrol

It's always good to be skeptical, Firefighter. Keep asking those questions.......

Patchcollector

Thats cool.I'm glad it's an original Vietnam War era patch.I have never seen an original one before.I thought the reproductions were a 'fantasy' item.Keeping my eyes out for one of these now.

Yes they are seldom seen so not many know about them.I have an Aero Club piece too.Mine is the same design as the one in post # 16.Since we all know that Biplanes were not flown by US Forces during the Vietnam war,it could also be that the plane depicted in the OP piece could be a randomly selected plane image used by the patch maker,or perhaps the buyer specifically ordered the patch with a Sabreliner depicted on it.

That biplane design is great. I wonder if it might be a tongue in check design for the A-1 Skyraider, which were nicknamed Spad or Super Spad after the WW I French biplane also known as the Spad. Just a thought, Either way, I now have to put one on my search list!

River Patrol

That biplane design is great. I wonder if it might be a tongue in check design for the A-1 Skyraider, which were nicknamed Spad or Super Spad after the WW I French biplane also known as the Spad. Just a thought, Either way, I now have to put one on my search list!

It's exactly this. There are Vietnam "SPAD" squadrons (aka Skyraiders) that had patches made up that even used the old nomenclature like "Light Bombardment" and "Pursuit Squadrons". All for fun!!

• 4 years later...

Came across this old thread and thought I'd add some pics of a patch I got from the estate of a Vietnam Era Navy pilot. I was thinking is was from "Spad" squadron also.

post-9295-0-61333300-1572195395_thumb.jpg post-9295-0-12535800-1572195409.jpg