Cut down VN tropical coat tailored into M16 mag vest

Jeeperz83

This is a fairly recent pickup and I thought it too cool not to share. This started life as a standard tropical combat coat that was cut down into a vest and pockets tailored to fit M16 20 round magazines. Five extra mag pouches were also added along the back made from salvaged OD fabric. It was also worn after the war with owner added insignia and "Fruit Loops" artwork.

Anyone have anything similar? I have seen one other VN coat with added mag pockets but that was it.

post-6732-0-77439600-1433384227.jpg

Heres one. Definitely seen some use. Looks like the two patches on the pockets were put there during the construction of the vest, and the name tape and patch on the back came at some point later.

post-5102-0-52954100-1433386309.jpg

post-5102-0-21574200-1433386316.jpg

American Graffiti

very cool, first one is awesome and those pockets definitely look like they've had mags in them

thanks for sharing

AG

Very interesting. Most likely would have been worn w/o LBE. If worn w/LBE the

pockets would have been covered by the LBE and operationally would have made

it difficult/impractical to take out mags. Would be interested to hear if anyone

saw this in use or knew of use?

AZ Abn

Very cool, couldn't find any pics of modded JJs but here's a pic of a tiger stripe mag carrying shirt in use

post-117117-0-09622500-1433421004.jpg

Neat to see another one and with a Hunting Club patch!

The tiger shirt with is the first I've seen of a mag shirt being worn.

439th Signal Battalion

Here are a couple more from 199th Infantry Brigade personnel. One is for the M16 and the other for the M79. I have several more images at home of these vests being worn and will try and post them later this evening.

post-4009-0-76823200-1433424054.jpg

post-4009-0-26423400-1433424127.jpg

I had and wore a vest made from a Tiger shirt with a number of pouches sewed on it.

Used mostly on short trips.

ludwigh1980

Great pieces. Its amazing all of the wartime variations of garments that were produced.

Thanks for posting,

Regards,

Terence

• 2 years later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-17634400-1498235508.jpg

I had to resize the image to meet the forum rules so here's a full size image of the vest.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-02237200-1498236435.jpg

Page 6 TROPIC LIGHTNING NEWS March 16, 1970

FSB PERSHING - Most combat infantrymen fighting in Vietnam really don't worry too much if their wearing apparel isn't in step with the latest fashions.
One exception, however, is Sergeant James J. Ross, who just might be a winner in the Army's Suggestion Program. Ross now qualifies as one of the best-dressed Warriors of the 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry, with a coat he fashioned for himself.
Ross's coat of many pockets is truly a unique garb to say the least. It features 24 large pockets for M-16 magazines and a pouch on the back to port a Claymore mine.
"I scrounged up the canvas material," Ross said. "I gave the measurements to our interpreter and he gave the specifications to a civilian tailor who made up the jacket for me.
"It's really great to have on an operation," Ross said.
Other Warriors are following suit. "A few others in my platoon have had them made too," said the functionally, if not fashionably dressed, Warrior sergeant.