Marine Baseball Jersey with an interesting story....

USdog

This was a recent ebay BIN purchase from the son of the Marine that it belonged to. It is named on the inside to a CORP D-L-U-G-O-S-I-E-L-S-K-I.

A little history on the marines that wore it:

D-L-U-G-O-S-I-E-L-S-K-I enlisted in the Marines on December 13, 1939 and before the war was stationed in Argentia, Newfoundland. In January 1943, he reported to Camp Lejeune for parachute training. Upon completion of parachute training he was assigned to Company A, 4th Marine Parachute Battalion. His unit did not go overseas and when the Paramarines were disbanded in the early part of 1944, he joined Company A, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division when they were activated. He landed on D-Day at Iwo Jima as a Platoon Sergeant and was WIA on the beach the first day, but recovered from his wounds and fought until the end.

The son was kind enough to type a note on what he knew about his service. I was pretty surprised when I saw in the note that he supposedly played against Joe DiMaggio's 7th AAF team. I'm guessing it was in Hawaii while D-L-U-G-O-S-I-E-L-S-K-I was there in late 1944. It would be interesting if this could be verified somehow....

Hopefully there is more history to come. I should have a photo of D-L-U-G-O-S-I-E-L-S-K-I soon from the son

Hope you guys enjoy this piece.

post-93633-0-33862000-1433369156.jpg

Nice find and great to have the personal identification

I have a shirt and pants as well as glove to a man who played on the team in 1943 and he told me their team won the 1943 service champion ship.He mentioned there was a pro player on his team who played for St.Louis and after the war the man invited him to try out.He declined as his father told him "there wasnt any money or a career in baseball".I have his dress greens as well as his basketball shorts.He was assigned to a Marine air wing and flew as a top turret/engineer in the Marine version of a bomber

Nice find and great to have the personal identification

I have a shirt and pants as well as glove to a man who played on the team in 1943 and he told me their team won the 1943 service champion ship.He mentioned there was a pro player on his team who played for St.Louis and after the war the man invited him to try out.He declined as his father told him "there wasnt any money or a career in baseball".I have his dress greens as well as his basketball shorts.He was assigned to a Marine air wing and flew as a top turret/engineer in the Marine version of a bomber

Thanks Doyler.... Sounds like a really interesting group you have. Just wondering, is the baseball uniform named inside like this one?

Being both a military and baseball collector / history lover, this is great.

Thanks for posting and sharing ....

Tim

Being both a military and baseball collector / history lover, this is great.

Thanks for posting and sharing ....

Tim

Tim,

Appreciate the compliments.... Glad to post it. Thanks for looking!

Thanks Doyler.... Sounds like a really interesting group you have. Just wondering, is the baseball uniform named inside like this one?

Tim

I dont recall it being named.Its the same style and lettering.If you want I can pm you his name if you have team lists.

I actually got it at his moving sale.He was retiring to Arkansas.It was listed as "old uniforms".Waited all day to buy it as it was the very last thing to sell hanging in the garage.Was worth it as I got to speak to him in person at the auction.

Tim

I dont recall it being named.Its the same style and lettering.If you want I can pm you his name if you have team lists.

I actually got it at his moving sale.He was retiring to Arkansas.It was listed as "old uniforms".Waited all day to buy it as it was the very last thing to sell hanging in the garage.Was worth it as I got to speak to him in person at the auction.

I don't have any team lists. Do you know if there is a way to get a hold of them?

I don't have any team lists. Do you know if there is a way to get a hold of them?

Not aware of any lists or where to source them

I have several USMC baseball and basketball uniforms none of them named, yours trumps all of mine, congrats!!!

What a find! Great score, Connor!

Thanks guys! It's my first military sports piece and I'm glad I was able to add it to my collection.

Military sports pieces are very interesting. Got outbid in a baseball cap from a famed Bedford boy last year :(

• 1 month later...

Well I got his file a while back and decided to share it with you guys. Mr. Dlugosielski was a Golf Caddy before the war. He enlisted in the Marines when he was 16 years old in 1939, but got busted for it and later enlisted again in 1940.

Looking at his sheets of duties and stations for when he was a Coproral (as the jersey is marked that rank), it suggests that his jersey I have was either issued while in Newfoundland or with the Paramarines at Camp Lejeune. Does anyone know if either of these places had baseball teams? Does anyone know when these jerseys began to be produced (could help narrow down where issued)?

Here is a pic of him and some of his documents..........

post-93633-0-56204900-1438645318.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Was doing more research not too long ago and found out Camp Lejeune did in fact have a baseball league. So this was the jersey he was initially issued in 1943 at Camp Lejeune as a Paramarine. After being transferred to the 5th Marine Division he played baseball while I assume wearing this jersey in Hawaii as well, which is where I presume he played against Joe DiMaggio's 7th AAF team.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for showing!

You're welcome, glad to. ;)

Forgot to add that not too long ago the veterans son listed a second marine baseball jersey, however not named and I didn't purchase it. But in the listing the son provided this photo of Dlugosielski playing ball with the marines. However I'm not sure which is him.

post-93633-0-15328300-1443401856.jpg

• 1 month later...

You're welcome, glad to. ;)

Forgot to add that not too long ago the veterans son listed a second marine baseball jersey, however not named and I didn't purchase it. But in the listing the son provided this photo of Dlugosielski playing ball with the marines. However I'm not sure which is him.

So updating this post again. I got into contact with his son again. He told me that his dad is the one in the middle of the baseball photo.

He also sent me some photos of his father as a paramarine and his daily journal listing his casualties in his company at Iwo Jima.

There is also a baseball document I'll post later today when I have a chance to scan.

post-93633-0-39361500-1447449340.jpg