Visiting Normandy Beaches - What to see? Where to stay?

stealthytyler

Hello all,

I am visiting France later this year and would love to see the beaches at Normandy. Can anyone give me advice on what to see, where to go and where to stay? Is it a day trip from Paris or should I stay in one of the small towns near Normandy? What is transportation like around the beaches? Bus, train, car? Suggestions appreciated! THANKS!

stealthytyler

August or September. I would like to have 2 days to explore the beaches and surrounding areas. Is this long enough?

You'll definitely want to stay in Normandy and depending on how much you want to see, you could easily do 2-3 full days of battlefields and small museums. I was last in Normady in summer 2013 and stayed in an Ibis hotel in Port en Bessin. Not too far from Omaha Beach and a neat coastal town with its own history. Hotel was nice and not expensive and plenty of restaurants nearby. I would not try to do it as a day trip from Paris, you'll spend too much time traveling. There is much to see and do in Normandy and best to have some time to explore yourself.

stealthytyler

You'll definitely want to stay in Normandy and depending on how much you want to see, you could easily do 2-3 full days of battlefields and small museums. I was last in Normady in summer 2013 and stayed in an Ibis hotel in Port en Bessin. Not too far from Omaha Beach and a neat coastal town with its own history. Hotel was nice and not expensive and plenty of restaurants nearby. I would not try to do it as a day trip from Paris, you'll spend too much time traveling. There is much to see and do in Normandy and best to have some time to explore yourself.

Thank you. I agree. This is a mutual trip with my wife so I cant hog all the time! haha I hope 2 days is enough.

daniel griffin

I toured the Normandy battlefields for 5 days a few years ago and stayed at the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux. Reasonably priced, good breakfast, close to quite a few restaurants and next door to the Bayeux Tapestry.

Squad leader

IMO you have to rent a car ; it's more convenient to move from a place to another as the most interesting monuments and battlefields are not very well served by bus and train lines.

I think you could use local touring companies also. The guides are fluent in English, most of them are British or American.

Hope it helps. Dan.

panzerbait

I spent two full weeks in Normandy in June of 2013, and I STILL didn't see everything I wanted to see. However, two o three days should be okay to hit the highlights. Definitely rent a car, and make sure you get a good road map of Normandy! Make a plan for what you want to see. Normandy is a relatively small place, but there is lots to see. where do you want to make a "home base?" Do you want to visit US or commonwealth sites? And if you don't speak French, make an effort to learn some key phrases. "Please" and "thank you" are good ones to start with!

By the way, without exception the people of France were kind and gracious hosts. Have a great trip!

Longhorn92

We stayed at a B&B in Picauville. I rented a car and it was easy to get around. But I also did a couple of guided tours. We stayed four days and still didn't see everything.

If you're only staying two days I'd recommend having a look at a map and planning your two day route, hitting the big sites.

Good luck and have fun.

Buckshot329

I have been there over and over and still haven't seen everything.

As been said here before I would highly recommend to hire a car and plan ahead.

If you are looking for a place to stay there are many wonderful B&B's around St. Mere Eglise and Carentan (if you want I will send some recommendations). I think this would be the best solution.

bellasilva

You forgot to ask WHAT you should bring...

Me! :lol: Can't wait to go if it's ever possible. Enjoy your trip!

Good point bellasilva. A good raincoat, umbrella, rain poncho, camera, and an empty kit bag to load with souvenirs.

If you've got 2 days and I assume you want to visit the US sector in those 2 days, allocate:

Day 1

- Omaha Beach

- US Cemetary

- Pointe du Hoc

Day 2

- Utah Beach

- Sainte Mere Eglise

- Dead Man's Corner museum

That's about all you'll manage on the 2 days in reality, and even then it's pushing it! :)