WW1 Officer's Spoils of War

Hessian

Wandered into a shop in old town today, the owner usually asked me about older military items that walk in the door. Today when I walked in he says, hey you collect WW1 stuff don't you? I responded in the affirmative, and he pulls out a box that a family brought in two days earlier.

First comes the leather map case with a US Army message book, leather wallet with the initials and the pamphlet...

But then he pulls out the German Stahlhelm and next the picklehaube.

I'm hoping some one can help me ID which unit Lt. Dillon was in... It would be very interesting to narrow down which battles he may have participated in and where the German items may have come from.

The family is still bringing out items so I"m hopeful that more will surface. In the meantime.....

post-4618-0-27580100-1433131319.jpg

Interior of the two helmets...

There is some cracking to the shell of the spike helmet but, it's been in an attic for decades...

The family is in the process of moving and they found this stuff in old boxes..

The only things that escaped were two first aid kits that the store owner put out in his store display and someone bought. Luckily I got the bulk. Hopefully I'll be posting updates if more stuff comes out....

post-4618-0-12749300-1433131770.jpg

post-4618-0-50062400-1433131771.jpg

Looks like I may have found him...

Looks like he lived in NJ but was part of the NY National Guard as an enlisted man pre-war rising to the rank of Sgt before accepting a commission in the 107th Infantry Regt ending up in the 27th Div.

This is from http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/wwi/infantry/107thInf/107thInfMain.htm

The 107th Infantry Regiment, formerly the 7th New York Infantry was a New York State National Guard Regiment that saw action in a number of conflicts, including the Civil War, the Mexican Border Dispute of 1916, World War I, and World War II. For service in WWI, the old 7th New York Infantry officially became the 107th Infantry Regiment and was brought up to strength with transfers from the 1st New York Infantry. It was paired with the 108th Infantry Regiment and placed in the 54th Brigade of the 27th Division. At the commencement of active fighting, the 107th had a total effective strength of 2,995 officers and men. The 107th shipped out to Europe in May of 1918 and was placed in the East Poperinghe Line with the rest of the 27th Division, to serve as a reserve unit.

On July 25th 1918 the 27th division was slowly rotated into the front line in relief of the British 6th Division. On August 31st 1918, operations of the Ypres-Lys Offensive began in an attempt to remove the Germans from the Dickebusch/Scherpenberg area. On September 3rd 1918 the Germans withdrew from the area, marking the successful completion of the Ypres-Lys Offensive. From September 24th to October 21st 1918 the 107th participated with the rest of the 27th Division in the successful Somme Offensive, which was an attempt to pierce the German’s Hindenburg defensive line. The 107th encountered fierce resistance and was involved in the heaviest fighting for the line. On October 21st 1918 the entire division was relieved. By March 19th 1919 the division had returned in full to the states where it was quickly mustered out.

During its service in World War I, the 107th sustained 1,918 casualties including 1,383 wounded, 437 killed, and 98 who later died of their wounds.

post-4618-0-80418900-1433132802.jpg

Here's his gravestone. Died 1962 in Fredericksburg, VA. Hope his PH shows up for you.

Frank

post-52851-0-24347600-1433183126.jpg

Good stuff, Duke. Those helmets will fit right in with your 6thMG Bn display. Hope you fing his PH & cluster! Semper Fi.......Bob

Based on his service dates he most likely acquired these during the occupation. That would explain why they are in such good shape...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the help on this....

Today I got a call... more stuff.. Including the PH!

I'll post more pics in the WW1 portion of the forum.

post-4618-0-97448500-1434838559.jpg

Very nice! I'm still waiting for the day when someone says to me, "Hey, you collect, don't you? Let me overwhelm you with this massive collection of cool stuff." :)

Thanks for showing us - really great items. I'm hoping one day to run into a picklehaube and having the scratch to afford it.

• 2 years later...

Hello Hessian-

Did any more of this man's collection turn up? It's great when they keep coming out little at a time! Now they really are preserved together!

David

This brave officers grouping found a great new home with a member of the forum not long after I found them. I was happy to be able to pull it all together and preserve it for history.

125th Infantry is a 32nd Div.outfit , not 27th Div. Also his Overseas Service is May 1918 to May 1919.... he could have souvenired the helmets any time in between. Steve McG

Can you make out any markings on the inside of the stahlhelm near the chinstrap lugs? Should be a combination of letters and numbers. Looks like the numbers should be "64"