Chain stitched pegasus with wrench squadron patch

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

Do you think is British or American? It is chain stitched, 6.5" in width. Appears WW2 era. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

post-122868-0-44842100-1433126915.jpg

It is not Pagasus, Pagasus was a flying horse and that thing has the body of the Philippine sea lion (front half lion back half fish) but with a horse's head and wings. Very strange indeed.

I think it's from 1954, but will try to read the actual NAN issue to verify it. I've seen other chain stitched patches from WW2-early 1950s. FASRONs were established in Dec 1946 and disestablished in 1959 according to most of the info I've found so far. Jeffro

I think it's from 1954 but could be earlier. I read the actual NAN issue to verify it, but it did not describe the patch as a new design for 1954. Instead, the insignia page described it as one of the squadron insignia belonging to one of several of the Navy's "workhorses". I have found information indicating that the unit was called Mobile FASRON 121 prior to it's re designation as FASRON121 in 1954. That was from some of the "Shipmates History" posts on the VP Navy site. I've seen other chain stitched patches from WW2-early 1950s. FASRONs were established in Dec 1946 and disestablished in 1959 according to most of the info I've found so far. Jeffro

ocsfollowme

FASRON: Fleet Aircraft Service Squadron, a redesignation of PATSU on 12 August 1946

PASTU: Patrol Aircraft Service Unit, after the 1942 Patrol Wings reorganization, assigned to an airfield or seaplane tender to provide administrative maintenance services to aircraft being supported (see also HEDRON). Redesignated FASRON in 1946.

Bill Scott

Its wonderful to see everyone working together to solve these mysteries.Great job Jeffro and Ocsfollowme.Scotty

ocsfollowme

Its wonderful to see everyone working together to solve these mysteries.Great job Jeffro and Ocsfollowme.Scotty

That is what makes this forum great! It was all Jeffro on this ID.

Johnny Signor

try the "Tailhook Association" , they have a historian that usually can find the "dates" for these , Doug Siegfried .......