need opinion

camillus

is this field modified knife grip ruined. It is the grip on a USMC Chatillion hospital corp knife

post-154628-0-81495800-1433047299.jpg

It is what it is.

just personalized by a previous owner.

If your a purist and like pristine unmessed with stuff this will bother you and not for your collection.

If you intend to use it the handles are not going to take much abuse.

If you like things with character this has it all....it says " I was there"

Its your choice.

easterneagle87

IS IT RUINED? OR WAS IT MODIFIED TO ALLOW LIQUIDS...I.E...BLOOD... TO RUN OUT OF THE PALM AND BE LESS SLIPPERY?

Dont think it had anything to do with blood.....

Most often grooves are cut to provide a better gripping surface in general on any tool.These have really smooth handles.Also things were marked so they dont walk away.Some mark items to keep and let people know not to steal them as the marks make it readily identifiable.

But if your killing a bunch of coconuts you dont want coconut blood all over the handle.

It gives the knife character. I always prefer something personalized. It's like an old service rifle with a soldier's initials carved in it.

I have any objection to personalization but is the handle varnished that would ruin it

• 4 weeks later...

You see many knives that were personalized by the previous owner. There is nothing that you can do before you receive it so it is just down to two thing's, either you buy it or not. If it bother's you that someone put groves or ground into it, then you should pass on it as there is always another down the road. If it doesn't bother you, then buy it. Some personalizing is cool and it was his knife or whatever long before you came across it. All of this still holds true today in many thing's and not just military.