POW Grouping - 8th Army Air Force

MasonK

Eric, as I understand it when Luft IV was evacuated in early 45 ahead of the Russian advance all the POWs were on foot. At some point the group was split with some winding up at Moosburg and the rest remaining on foot until liberation. My dad was among the latter group and was liberated on 7may45 at Halle Germany by elements of the 104th Infantry Division. I have more details at home, but I am traveling for the next month. I'll share more when I return; I have a complete roster, by lager, of those held at LuftIV.

Thanks, jweitkamp. Look forward to hearing more about it.

The photos in the album of Stalag 7A were part of a souvenir set sold shortly after the war by one of the POWs. I have a couple of sets in groups I own,

Kurt

Makes sense, Kurt. Was wondering why I didn't see the vet in any of the photos.

• 3 weeks later...

Super great pow group you picked up. Just never know where they will show up. It was very interesting to look at. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
cperkins510

Those sketches are incredible. How rare it is to see scenes of everyday life in a POW camp. He really captured the details of the people and the structures in such a clear and impressive way.

Thanks, all!

Cperkins, the drawings are by far my favorite. He was a certainly a great artist. I'm very partial to the Philly skyline, as this is my home town, but also puts it into perspective how much he wanted to be home.