POW Grouping - 8th Army Air Force

MasonK

The uniform is cool enough with the POW connection, but that diary and scrapbook are outstanding. What a terrific score. Best of luck obtaining the rest. Are you considering restoring the jacket? Congrats!

Excellent group! What became of the other items?

Viewfinder,

The other items are still with the nephew. Photos of them were taken today when I went to pickup the group. He does plan on selling them at some point, he's just not sure when.

The uniform is cool enough with the POW connection, but that diary and scrapbook are outstanding. What a terrific score. Best of luck obtaining the rest. Are you considering restoring the jacket? Congrats!

Thanks, Jguy. I'm definitely happy with the items I have, but do agree that the diary and scrapbook are great pieces.

I'm considering restoring the uniform. The nephew has his wings somewhere. If he can't find them, they're easy to replace as are the other items (collar brass, ribbon bar). I'll leave a note in the pocket stating what was added.

KASTAUFFER

Nice little POW group. Stalag Luft 4 dogtags are very hard to find. The diary looks great.

I don't look at Craigs list and if I had seen it I would have been all over it!

Kurt

Timberwolf

Great find! Hopefully you're able to get the other items soon. Usually telling them the grouping and keeping everything together route will plant a seed and make them think more about selling.

Similar experience from craigslist recently. Lady had several uniforms listed (82nd AB great coat, Pacific ocean command ike and some service shirt.) Got to talking and she has a 325th GIR ike. Well sold everything but that one (both were her uncles) but I'll be the first to get them.

Thanks, all! I definitely lucked out on this one. Apparently he had the group posted for awhile. A few people contacted him, set up times to meet, but were a no show. Not sure why that would be as it's a really interesting group.

In addition to the items shown, there were also multiple letters written to and from the vet while he was a POW, additional paperwork, etc. Their may also be other items that he didn't show, as the PT shorts, flight cap and one of the service shirts were pulled out at the last minute.

Timberwolf, I definitely expressed how I would like to keep the group together. I believe that is why he was comfortable with parting with the other items, specifically the dog tag. I feel he's up for selling, and it may boil down to him wanting to do a little more research on the value of the remainder of the group.

Thanks, all!

Yep, right on Craigslist, however only the uniform items were listed (jacket, shirt, overseas caps). He did mention in the add that they were his uncles, who was a POW.

It wasn't until I spoke with him on the phone that I discovered there was a diary, etc.

My dad was shot down on 29 May 44 and entered Stalag Luft IV shortly thereafter; his dog tag, near identical, is numbered 1969.

awesome group, the leather name tape with his aircraft position is interesting. never seen one of those before

Thanks again, all!

Jweitkamp, thank you for your father's service. Was your father transferred camp to camp in the same manner as this vet? They were in at the same time, so I would imagine so.

Mark, got my fingers crossed that I am able to get it!

Austin, that would be great if you could pull it for me! Pm on its way, and thanks in advance!

63 Recon, I've never seen one like that either. There was another leather name tape, but the nephew has to find it. There was also a leather patch for the 548th BS that was in the scrapbook at one time. Unfortunately, the vet sent it to someone, along with some bring backs (a German dagger, but unsure what kind). Nephew believes it was someone scamming his uncle. Lowest of the low, if that's the case.

yeah its definitely interesting to say the least. would love to find a pic of one being worn on a flight suit or flight jacket. I hope you end up with all the items so you can keep this together.

Thanks, 63. There were other photos in the group, however I didn't want to overstay my welcome photographing them. Possible there could be one of him with the name tag in wear, however I don't immediately recall seeing one.

I just emailed the 385th BG website hoping to get a crew photo; maybe something will turn up there.

Also, a big thanks to AustinO for pulling the MACR!

Eric, as I understand it when Luft IV was evacuated in early 45 ahead of the Russian advance all the POWs were on foot. At some point the group was split with some winding up at Moosburg and the rest remaining on foot until liberation. My dad was among the latter group and was liberated on 7may45 at Halle Germany by elements of the 104th Infantry Division. I have more details at home, but I am traveling for the next month. I'll share more when I return; I have a complete roster, by lager, of those held at LuftIV.

KASTAUFFER

The photos in the album of Stalag 7A were part of a souvenir set sold shortly after the war by one of the POWs. I have a couple of sets in groups I own,

Kurt