Ebay USMC dog tag

USdog

cperkins510

I would guess it was a missing piece in a collection. Even though I was not the winning bidder, I was heavy in the bidding on that one because a Tarawa vet is one of the remaining USMC dog tags I've really been trying to add to my collection. Seems to me someone else had a similar thought process.

I would guess it was a missing piece in a collection. Even though I was not the winning bidder, I was heavy in the bidding on that one because a Tarawa vet is one of the remaining USMC dog tags I've really been trying to add to my collection. Seems to me someone else had a similar thought process.

I can see that. I'm glad I already have a Tarawa related tag :) was less than 1/10 of the price too.

Seriously though, I agree, the Tarawa relation is probably what drove the price, they don't pop up too often at all. About a year ago I think a fingerprint tag to a Tarawa marine went for about $350

ViewfinderGyrene

How the heck did I miss that one? I check that search every couple of days lol...beautiful tag, lucky winner!

I saw this as well and can not say, except to fill that spot, why it went so high. Another thought is that he was a family member. Still a nice tag.

Mark

bellasilva

Holy moly. I was watching that too and figured I'd throw a bid in before it got to $100 just in case. Totally didn't expect it to get that hight. Very nice tag in either case

Dog tags of Tarawa vets, and in general 2nd MarDiv members are, in my experience, rarer than others ... I don't know exactly why ??

That may explain the price ... it took me many years to find some but I was lucky enough that it was a pair of dogtags.

E

Bob Hudson

Another thought is that he was a family member.

No, family members (even if they are second cousins) want it for free.

The closing price on this is not all that much higher than some other recent sales of WWII USMC dog tags.

It looks like he was also in campaigns at Saipan, Tinian, and Okinawa.

from wikipedia:

The 2nd Engineer Battalion was relocated on 13 May 1942 to Camp Elliot, San Diego. From here, engineers from Company A embarked for Guadalcanal, and participated in the landing on that island. On 8 September 1942 2nd Engineer Battalion was redesignated as "1st Battalion, 18th Marines". During World War II, the engineers of 18th Marines participated in Campaigns on Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, and Okinawa. 18th Marines was redesignated 16 August 1944 as the 2nd Engineer Battalion. On 23 September 1945, 2nd Engineer Battalion was redeployed to Nagasaki, Japan to begin its duty with the Occupational Force.

jul44.jpg

tarawatag.jpg

muddyboots

I went deep and still got smoked. I got a few pieces from the 18th Marines and wanted more.