1881 Indian Scout Helmet?

This showed up at the local Flea Market, a 1881 Indian Scout helmet. What do you all think, is it worth restoring or just buying for the parts.

post-624-0-12157800-1432738981.jpg

post-624-0-40980300-1432738995.jpg

post-624-0-43595500-1432739011.jpg

post-624-0-36946700-1432739026.jpg

Sure, you should restore. But, you'll have to use reproduction red/white Scout plume and cords, as originals are IMPOSSIBLE to find. An original front plate won't cost too much, but you'll have to buy the crossed silver arrows to affix to it (those will probably need to be reproduction). After you spend a couple hundred bucks or so, it will look great.

ludwigh1980

Like Kurt said well worth restoring. The side devices are hard to find. I think the Scout Helmet is referred to as the M1890 Indian Scout Full Dress Helmet. Fitted with a mix of original and repro parts it will make a good display piece. 99.9% of mounted helmets out there are assembled from old stock anyway.

Regards,

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Who would one turn to to restore such an item? I have a helmet that's been incorrectly restored (just my opinion) and it could use some help too. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Major Z-- originals are out there--I still have an original crossed arrow device. Those buttons alone are rare, and I normally pick them up for about $150 a set. Shoot me a PM or an email at [email protected]. I can help you out with what you're looking for -- and I can plate most plumes in the original manner they were done during this time period. Cameron Laughlin, at [email protected], is the number one indian wars headgear restorationist I know -- he's kind of busy, but I do a lot of work myself after working under him.

If you do email him versus me, let him know I sent you.

-Wolf