Is this a real MKII Grenade?

CUBUSMC

Just curious if anyone can help me with this MKII. Not sure if it is an original? To me it looks like a repaint. Not familiar with this maker stamp? And lastly, it is just a tiny bit taller than my other MKIIs. Any help appreciated. Thanks - Jeff

post-2688-0-87881500-1432616174.jpg

post-2688-0-84598700-1432616193.jpg

Dirt Detective

I dont know if it is just the picture or not but the bottom looks a little wierd to me, almost like it has been welded. :wacko:

can you shine a light in it and try and see how it looks from the inside.

Dirt Detective

The threaded hole on top looks a little off too have you tried a WWII fuze screwed in? It should fit nice and flush.

I have tried screwing in a WWII fuze and it fits fine. I did shine a light in from the top and it appeared OK to me, had a little rust inside. I think I am going to remove the paint from the bottom to see if the bottom has been messed with. I was just thinking that someone may have already seen this grenade or one like it. Thanks for the help - Jeff

TheGrayGhost

I think I am going to remove the paint from the bottom to see if the bottom has been messed with.

I wouldn't recommend that!

It may be a repaint, it may not. Either way, removing the paint from the bottom will screw it up. If it looks fine on the inside, it's probably an original solid bottom.

This already looks great the way it sits, if I were you, I would just screw in an nice original fuze and call it good.

You can check the bottom with a magnet? If its epoxy you will know.

It looks nice.I wouldn't remove the paint.

The threads look thin to me. Some frags turn up that were turned into lighters but the paint was not changed. They would drill out the original threads and tap them to a larger size to accept the lighter assembly. Also a 3/16" or 1/4" hole was drilled and tapped in the bottom and a base made from a disc of steel was bolted on so it would stand upright on a table.

Looks great top me. I wouldn't mess with it. I do not know recognize the markings but as far a paint and appearance I think it is original. I have one that is verifiably original and it looks very similar in paint color and shine.

I recall seeing LW marked grenades years ago. I believe they were made late in WW2, in a Longview, Washington foundry. At least that's the info I found online quite some time ago...

LW marked grenades are common around my neck of the woods. Longview, Washington, is only 90 miles away from me.

LW marked grenades are common around my neck of the woods. Longview, Washington, is only 90 miles away from me.

That makes sense. I did a quick google search, and found a mention of a woman who worked in an Oregon munitions factory. The LW grenades were cast in Longview, Wa & sent to her Oregon factory for final assembly.

For some reason, I never really thought of the Pacific Northwest when it comes to wartime munitions! I never really came across much when I was in Shoreline, Wa. However, when I lived in Richland, next to Hanford, I could trip over the stuff in every antique shop in town!

• 1 month later...