Uniforms of the 'Blue Water' Navy 1960's-1980's Cold War - Vietnam Era

RustyCanteen

Nice examples Bob! Both are examples of fairly early contracts for their respective types.

RC

. Wore both of these. Preferred the blue on the fight. Just more comfortable. The black one on the left eventually is produced in blue.

The black one on the left eventually is produced in blue.

The label calls it "DARK BLUE" - much like the peacoat blue that always looks black :) In person it looks "bluer" than in the photos.

The label calls it "DARK BLUE" - much like the peacoat blue that always looks black :) In person it looks "bluer" than in the photos.

. With the big change of 1975, everything Blue", went black, even though it was still referred to as "Blue". I had my original issue 1971 P-Coat and a 1980 coat. The 1980, along with being of a much lower quality, thinner and lighter weight, was definitely black in colo. especially when next to my good old issue cost ( which I still have)

Salvage Sailor

Ditto what Steve said.....

I also wore both of those style blue workjackets and the first 'dark blue' jacket that I received and wore in 1976 was almost black as were the new style ballcap, raincoat, gloves, watch cap, wool shirt, thinner 'Johnny Cash' shirt, etc

• 4 years later...

My grandfather as a BM1 during the 80s. I think this may actually have been taken in 91 during a Desert Storm deployment. 

was interesting to read about the utility jackets. I fortunately found one that matches my grandfathers. I saw several black jackets and figure they came out after the blue lol 

thanks for the info! I plan on putting together his uniforms from the 80s and this post will definitely help.

i hope the photo uploads

5322F460-EBBD-493E-BFC0-A6F9B186A1C6.jpeg

2 hours ago, AAlvarado90 said:

My grandfather as a BM1 during the 80s. I think this may actually have been taken in 91 during a Desert Storm deployment. 

was interesting to read about the utility jackets. I fortunately found one that matches my grandfathers. I saw several black jackets and figure they came out after the blue lol 

thanks for the info! I plan on putting together his uniforms from the 80s and this post will definitely help.

i hope the photo uploads

5322F460-EBBD-493E-BFC0-A6F9B186A1C6.jpeg

This looks like the Blue jacket issued sometime in 84-85

15 hours ago, topdcnut said:

Not sure if this is a complete timeline but it is what I have found so far, I wore the last three styles.

IMG_3584.JPG

I wore the 3 in the middle. The last one came out when I was a Chief. Thought it was a good jacket. 

Salvage Sailor
5 hours ago, sigsaye said:

I wore the 3 in the middle. The last one came out when I was a Chief. Thought it was a good jacket. 

I wore the second and third jackets and I liked the black one best.

The second jacket did not seem to wear as well as the later ones, I was issued the third one and never really cared for it other than the fact that you could at the time fill it with patches, I liked the later blue one better liked the last one best but never wore it.

Dungaree pants the first two 1978-81 the third 1985

IMG_3613.JPG

Tag from the first pair on the left

IMG_3614.JPG

Center pair

IMG_3615.JPG

Right pair issued n 1985

IMG_3616.JPG

• 9 months later...

A few of mine from days gone by. 

Me as a young PR2 at HSL-32 in Norfolk

PR2.JPG.16a8d13fdfddd2d6eea2fb87bb41d0de.JPG

My GQ station on USS Saratoga. And, my LPO with his pants tucked into some non-regulation socks.

1428253621_GQontheSara.jpg.45068b76da829bec85fe9e892c2f2e92.jpg

Morning meeting in the Paraloft office.

1904898324_Coffeeready.jpg.62fc06f66ea538f87d5754f31874b03a.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
RustyCanteen
On 3/29/2022 at 9:19 AM, sigsaye said:

Amphibious Assault Boat Crewman, (LCM6, LCM8), Philippines, 1974

81736998-B004-481D-83FD-C9ACEF0BA978.jpeg

Great photo Steve! Thank you for sharing it. 

• 4 months later...

This is the typical, early/mid 1970s, Deck Seaman/BMSN/BM3. Operating the paint locker. In the Pacific Fleet, Skivvy shirts were standard uniform of the day. He’s also wearing the unpopular blue utility trousers. Not only did they look “Bad”, the rear pockets tended to fall off. There were 2 types of zippers. Silver ones in the early production versions did NOT, hold up well. They just fell apart   They were replaced with a more durable brass zipper around ‘74(ish). The silver zippers were not taken out of service. You just looked for brass zippers when you went to the exchange to buy new ones. Or, ignored these things and went for the Seafarers.   Also note, he’s wearing his low cut Oxford dress shoes. And has paint on them. Depending on when he entered the Navy, he got 2 pair of those shoes. They still had leather soles, so we’re only good for about 6 months on ships non-skid decks. 

4B4BADD9-A1F0-4D20-A0A1-5B7C540CC24A.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

Nice illustrative photo Sigs, 

Also of note, the Red Lead primer & the keys on a halyard clip hanging from a belt loop.  Wouldn't be surprised if he had a folding knife on his left side.

"The Navy, It's Not a Job, It's An Adventure"

Shore Patrol, Subic Bay.   This would have been post 1980, when the Navy returned to traditional uniforms. The white trousers that were adopted at that time had side seam pockets.  

E329F169-4F35-410E-A9BC-7B3A8FDB553F.jpeg

Shore Patrol, Late 1960s-Early 1970s. Check the beards and ‘Staches!  Very little standards then.   I remember guys with ZZ Top beards. I kept mine beard neatly trimmed just because I didn’t care for the shaggy Cave Man look. But I had a big Handel Bar mustache 

7FC170D4-0B6E-4C2D-90FF-E5EA1C7F675F.jpeg

22 hours ago, sigsaye said:

Shore Patrol, Subic Bay.   This would have been post 1980, when the Navy returned to traditional uniforms. The white trousers that were adopted at that time had side seam pockets.  

E329F169-4F35-410E-A9BC-7B3A8FDB553F.jpeg

Notice how the guy on the left is carrying his night stick?  We put them through the holder loop backwards, and stuck the belt loop into the top of the belt. They were almost impossible to get out the “Correct” way.