Question on WWII dog tag chain thickness

bellasilva

bellasilva

Do any of you fine folks own a new old stock packet of original WWII dated dog tag chains?

I ask because i received another WWII dog tag today, my 2nd example that came with a chain with beads that are larger than the newer or current bead chains seen issued with military dog tags. It is also yellowish in color, possibly with wear. It is exactly the same chain as a WWII USMC dog tag I own. So I am wondering if this was the size of the original WWII issued chain necklaces. While I do realize these could have come from your average everyday lamp or ceiling light pull chain, I figured I would ask.

On the left is a newer, current issue dog tag chain. In the right is the chain that came with the WWII dog tag. Any help is appreciated.

post-104906-0-98255200-1432066197.jpg

post-104906-0-05349800-1432066212.jpg

Old Marine

I have my father's early war dog tags with the NOK information that he wore all through out the war and they have the larger chain. I think that larger chain was a normal issue item.

If I ever get my computer fixed I will post a photo.

I have some of those too. I can think of two sets at the top of my head. 3rd ID vet and 1st ID vet. Both served overseas very early in the war. I've always assumed they were early war compared to the smaller beads, but who knows. Hope that helps.

bellasilva

Thanks for the input gents. I may also check into ebay as they usually have a few packets floating around of original wartime chains

twining540

I was able to dig this up out of my stash. The packet is dated 1944, and has the original small bead chain.

post-102692-0-03786300-1432175685.jpg

post-102692-0-84026200-1432175705.jpg

bellasilva

Thanks for the pictures! I wonder now if there was a difference with earlier bead chain necklaces. Here comes my next research project

twining540

Almost forgot I had these. Both are early tags with the large ball chain(lower chain for comparison).

post-102692-0-23915900-1432478510.jpg

My grandfather's set he wore was on a sterling chain with the "J" hooks on the ends.

His extra set was on the larger beaded chain... which I assume would have been from earlier in the war?

-Brian