Beret, Green - Bancroft 1960s

Red Devil

Greetings!

Here is a recent find but haven't had a chance to take photos until today. It is a Bancroft with intact yellow lining. It appears at some point that it had insignia pinned to it. Would anyone be able to help me possibly figure out what may have been attached?

While there isn't any imprint or "ghost" outline visible, I measured the distance between the holes. It matches up with a postwar set of airborne wings, but I don't have a set of SF insignia to compare to. Anyone have a set they can measure for me?

Thank you for the help!

-Johannes

post-9214-0-58191600-1431875187.jpg

post-9214-0-05078500-1431875222.jpg

Nice 1960's era Bancroft. The pin holes could have been anything - no way to tell. If I owned it, I'd restore with a nice VN era 5th SFG flash and SF crest.

Nice 1960's era Bancroft. The pin holes could have been anything - no way to tell. If I owned it, I'd restore with a nice VN era 5th SFG flash and SF crest.

Thanks! I am considering doing just that. I'm going to be on the hunt for both an original flash a crest soon!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Would the Bancroft berets have been a private purchase item then? Is there any way to date them? I have two.

There's a scene in the movie, The Green Berets where a beret is placed on a desk upside down (i.e., you can see the lining). It's clearly this style Bancroft. The movie was filmed in 1968, so there's a general sense of the age. I would say they would be considered private purchase.