Viet Nam Special Forces Bolo?

thorin6

I picked this up at the flea market today. It's shown in Cole's number 3 on page 168 and is attributed to the Special Forces. One is for sale on ebay and adds to the story. I violated my general rule not to pick up edged weapons without getting their scabbards, but I've only seen two for sale in the past several years (including this one).

Can any one add to the linage on these?

post-11546-0-33420100-1431821828.jpg

Sorry I can't help you with more information. I read Cole's book III information which says it was a Viet Nam era bolo. Great knife.

Marv

bayonetman

There are reproductions of these as well.I think the thickness of the blade is an indicator and when the repros are found with a scabbard the canvas isnt as heavy.I will look in my photo file as I came across a repro a couple years ago.

Gary,

Thanks for the references; I hadn"t seen the last one and that really helps. It also explains why there are several mint in box examples for sale at any one time.

doyler,

I'd be interested if there are repro's. Frank Trzaska's reproduction page doesn't show a repro and IMA doesn't have one on their web site.

bayonetman

Gary,

Thanks for the references; I hadn"t seen the last one and that really helps. It also explains why there are several mint in box examples for sale at any one time.

doyler,

I'd be interested if there are repro's. Frank Trzaska's reproduction page doesn't show a repro and IMA doesn't have one on their web site.

Note the second reference I gave (http://modernforces....niform_bolo.htm). At the bottom, it states "This is a reproduction from Japan". I have seen others in the past.

THe one linked here is described as a reproduction from Japan.It was a link Gary provided.

One thing I noticed right off is the color of the handles and type of wood looked similiar to the repro I saw/handled.I spoke to Paul Miraldi once and I cant recall but I believe he said there was a repro being made out of Massachusetts

This is the copy I saw

post-342-0-08117400-1431894650.jpg

post-342-0-10453100-1431894685.jpg

post-342-0-03329000-1431894712.jpg

Doyler,

Thanks for the photos. As I compare my bolo to your photo's and Gary's second link (I missed that it was a repro), I notice that the handle on mine is like the originals and not like the reproductions. Also, the nose of my bolo looks like the originals; note the reproduction stops the bevel grind around the center of the blade, while the originals carry it around to the top of the blade. I would say my bolo is an original, not a reproduction, unless there is something I'm missing.

t6

I see that the dead links are still a work in progress. Heres a picture of the bolo in the OP of the thread in the link above.

post-17422-0-44876100-1431907469.jpg