Krag bayonet with New York marking

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

Just got this 1899 Krag bayonet with "10 NY" mark on the right grip and "A 22" mark on the left grip and on the blade. There was a 10th New York infantry, but they were a Civil War group. I found a 1st New York Infantry with a 10th Battalion. Also found a 10th National Guard in New York. Does anyone have ideas what this "10 NY" signifies? I'll assume that the "A 22" is either "A" company, or simply a rack number. I might rule out the rack number idea because the number was stamped on both the blade and grips, thinking that the marks are too "formally" stamped. Rack numbers tend to be painted on the bayonet. Any ideas?

Marv

post-26996-0-19613200-1431389245.jpg

post-26996-0-45939400-1431389285.jpg

bayonetman

I believe the 10 NY is indeed the 10th NY National Guard. I have a Model 1910 Bolo that has 1 CAV NY stamped in the grip, and have seen Model 1910 bayonets with the grips marked in a similar fashion.

I think you will also find the A22 to be a rack/unit number (Company A, bayonet # 22). The 1910 bolo is not marked this way, nor the 1905 bayonets that I have seen, but they were originally serial numbered so there was no need to identify them further.

I have also seen Trap Door .45-70 rifles and a few bayonets marked to NY Guard units.

I have a M1905 bayonet with matching M1905 scabbard and both are marked with "F" "12" (I can't recall the exact number at the moment, might be 22 or something similar). The bayonet is marked on the grips and the scabbard has the markings tooled into the leather.

I assumed these were company and rack number or company and soldier number.