WWI Marine Corps Memoirs

MurfreesboroMemphis

MurfreesboroMemphis

I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good WWI USMC memoirs or books. I've read a few which I will list but I'd like recommendations if anyone has some!

I've read and would recommend:

His Time in Hell: A Texas Marine in France- Warren R. Jackson Through the Wheat: The U.S. Marines in World War I- Edwin Simmons & Joseph Alexander Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die: Memoirs of a World War I Marine- Elton Mackin Miracle at Belleau Wood: The Birth Of The Modern U.S. Marine Corps- Alan Axelrod

I'm sure there are some others but I can't recall at the moment.

-Will

devildog34

Colonel Wise wrote a book that gives pretty good perspective called "A Marine Tells it to you." There's also a good account by Carl Brannan of the 80th Co. called "Over There. Another solid book by another 80th Co. Marine is the book by Don Paradis called "The WWI Memoirs of Don Paradis."

Semper Fi

Kevin

Kurt Barickman

All: Kevin is too humble to state this but wait until his Belleau Wood tome is published! It will be the all encompassing historical tale of this epic USMC battle.

Kurt

patrick_usmc

God Have Mercy On Us by William Scanlon is a great book as well. One of my favorites, and very well told. It's just like you're sitting there having a conversation with him.

MurfreesboroMemphis

Kevin, I didn't realize you were writing a book. Should have known. We have many authors present and I'm always impressed with the work. Can't wait to read it. Thanks for the info Kurt.

Patrick, gonna look it up now! Thanks.

-Will

boisbelleau

One can't forget

Catlin's "WITH THE HELP OF GOD AND A FEW MARINES.."

Thomason's "FIX BAYONETS"

Gibbon's "AND THEY THOUGHT WE WOULDN'T FIGHT"

and more recently B. Scarbrough's "THEY CALLED US DEVIL DOGS"

All of these relly easy reads...

BB

Don't miss "To The Limit of Endurance- A Battalion of Marines in the Great War"" by LtCol Peter F. Owen USMC Ret. The story of 2/6.Texas A&M Press 2007. Semper Fi.........Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret

"Devil Dogs" written by George B. Clark. A good primer on the whole USMC experience "over there" for those with limited knowledge on the topic.