price guide question

camillus

Hi, got a question, I have a copy of the price guide U.S. Military Knives Bayonets and Machetes 4th edition published 2000 are the prices still accurate today. thanks Mike

bayonetman

No, the book is out of date. Some prices are up, some down. Overall the knives and bayonets are a little low right now compared to 3-4 years ago except for the very high condition or very uncommon pieces. Most common ones in good average condition are down and not selling as fast.

For example, look at the Buy It Now prices on eBay - in general, they are way high and simply do not reflect current prices. Although there is no really good guide, I find that by searching for SOLD items in the eBay Advanced (to the right of the SEARCH bar) section will give you a decent idea of what things are actually selling for instead of what people are ASKING.

Fill in the keyword(s) for what you are interested in and go down to the third (SOLD LISTINGS) option under the SEARCH tab. Check that box and hit search, that will bring up all the listing for the past few weeks of the items that actually sold and the price they sold for. Probably the easiest way to determine current value.

My apologies for all the wording above to those who already know to do this, but I have found a lot of people really don't know that the tool is available.

Mike- I'm with Gary. I have the same the guide. Have pick-up up a lot of knives for less than those priced, and a little more than others. But, it has another function, it's a great guide to use as a quick inventory of you collection. Whenever I pick up a new knife, I use a yellow "Hi-Lighter", and line through my new purchase. I have 3 inventories for my collection. This is a quick grab version, plus price guide. It's dual purpose for me. SKIP

268th C.A.

I've always said a price guide may be a good reference book for pictures, But there all out of date they go to printing! Its like the stock market. As stated above...

thanks Gary I looked up the sold search, never new about that saves a lot of weeding out. Mike

The trend the past few years certainly has been as Gary says. I've watched many an auction on Ebay, and the common, average condition knives are selling at low prices, when the opening bid or buy it now price is reasonable. But not a lot on ebay is reasonable. A good example is the PAL RH36 6-inch hunting knife with a sheath. Five years ago they were about $35-45 in good condition. About three years ago they were about $45-55. Today, they are back around the $40-45 mark if you can find someone who actually wants to sell it. The buy it now prices are really out of line.

Best price guide is simply to build your own based on searches, shows, and folks on this forum, and remember that there are regional differences.