World's smallest Ike jacket - Child size?

Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Saw this in a surplus store last week. Could it be from a military school or something? Quality looks too good to be a novelty item, looks to me like some real work was put into this one.

EDIT: Notice that the patch on the top jacket is a US ETO patch. I can't tell what the one on the bottom is.

Any thoughts?

post-154311-0-24029800-1430757917.jpg

Martinjmpr

I know it's hard to judge size by a picture but I'd guess this is sized to fit someone with a 28 - 30" chest, at most. Maybe a very young teenager or a 10 - 11 year old boy.

post-154311-0-26700400-1430758002.jpg

Martinjmpr

Here's a closeup of the label on the inside Looks British or other Commonwealth?:

post-154311-0-18695300-1430758050.jpg

cutiger83

These are not made for a woman.

The tag looks like it has a date of 1970. I did a google search for Oxford Clothing Pty Ltd. Looks like they are still in business.

Martinjmpr

UPDATE: Lower patch looks like maybe 6th Army.

These are not cut for a woman (unless she is completely flat chested!) But it's hard to imagine an adult fitting into one either.

What throws me off, as I said above, is the overall quality and attention to detail is much, much higher than I would expect from a "costume" type uniform jacket. The buttons all appear to be similar to the ones used on 1980's-era BDU jackets and pants. All buttons are concealed and the wool material is very thick and heavy. The waist belt has a metal friction buckle.

If this is some kind of repro/costume for a child, it must have been expensive at the time.

Captainofthe7th

Looks like a British made battledress from the 70s. There are a number of these in my local store with some Belgian jackets mixed in. They all have surplus US patches sewn on and sometimes OD US Army tapes. It's just a mash up of surplus parts.

Rob

Not British. The number 66 in the NSN is the country code for Australia. I would guess that "S.A." on the label stands for the state of South Australia. The small size may mean it was intended for cadets.

The SSI on the lower jacket is indeed for Sixth US Army. The SSI on the upper jacket is for US Army Europe. Neither one obviously belongs on these jackets.

aussie digger

B229 is correct this is a Australian made BD as worn by Australian army cadets at the time.