V-mails to wounded104th. Division soldier

Vincennes

Vincennes

I found 9 WW2 V-Mail letters to PFC C. W. Peterson (36766419) dated Jan. - March, 1945 at the flea market in Tulsa, OK. He was with the 104th. Infantry Division (APO 104) fighting in Germany and was apparently wounded and hospitalized in England on Dec. 18, 1944. These 9 V-Mails to him were sent back to the US by the Army apparently to try to catch up with PFC Peterson when he was shipped home to a US Hospital. I show the front and back of one of those V-mails here.

2 letters are from his Brother in the US Navy at USNAS Jacksonville, FL; 4 from his Wife Katherine in Abingdon, IL; and 3 from his Mother Mrs. Tom Lane in Oklahoma City, OK.

The letters indicate that he was awarded the Purple Heart. He was hospitalized for some time in England at H. P. 4131.

There is a Pfc. Peterson, Walter C. listed in the 413th REGIMENT CANNON COMPANY of the 104th. on the http://www.104infdiv.org/ web page. I assume this is him despite the difference in the order of the initials and even though 2 V-mails are addressed to him in the Anti Tank company.

Paul

post-2319-0-21396800-1430687581.jpg