WW2 Japanese bring backs from family friend.

AnDuc49

Just got these a few days ago from a family friend as a gift. He said he couldn't remeber exactly where they came from, he just said he brought them back because they looked interesting.

post-154926-0-33361100-1430583845.jpg

He said the knife was known as a "fisherman knife" he said he got it in Japan when he was part of the occupation force. Was told that the sand was from Iwo Jima and given to him as a gift from a friend after he returned back to the states.

post-154926-0-73370000-1430584019.jpg

post-154926-0-06911900-1430584029.jpg

Also, when looking at the flag, it appears that their is kind of natural cordage tied onto the original cotton tab?

post-154926-0-00438300-1430584156.jpg

Nice! Sand certainly looks volcanic. Is the piece of cloth with the picture of the woman and child actually a bag?

24th_infantry

The bag could possibly be a "comfort bag". Families would mail items such as candy, razors, soap etc, just like the care packages we send to our troops today. Hopefully that helps a little. Nice items!

Thanks 24th. Also as requested by mod, this was given to me by Pvt. Reida who came from Zenda, KS.

Nice and interesting items. Lucky to have such a friend. You're saying Pvt. Reida was in the Pacific during WW2 - correct? Do you know what division he was in?

I can't remember off the top of my head. I already told the mod I would ask him the next time I see him.

• 4 weeks later...
Sgt. Swigart

He said the knife was known as a "fisherman knife" he said he got it in Japan when he was part of the occupation force. Was told that the sand was from Iwo Jima and given to him as a gift from a friend after he returned back to the states.

They still make this knife, or a very similar model in Japan. You can see them in the Garret-Wade Catalogs.

• 2 months later...