Is it possible that I have paramarine uniform?

Corpsman_1941

Corpsman_1941

I was restoring 1stMarDiv Peleliu veteran uniform for some time so I haven't much time to look at my newest uniforms, I traded other Marine uniform for it with forum friend, Now I have nothing to do with 1stmardiv uniform till records will come so I decided to take a look at my newest uniform-alpha green blouse named to R.G. Smith, I took a look at shoulder area and saw some holes, it looks similar like I MAC patch but it's wider that typical US made I MAC patch, but I seen some I MAC Aussie patches before and they had similar shape... so maybe Paramarine or Raider? I did some research for R.G. Smith earlier, there were many man with this name but no Paramarines or Raiders with this name, I tried to look for similar names and found George R Smith- QM clerk with Hq Co 1st Para bn, he enjoyed to battalion before Guadalcanal, not sure what happend to him after Paramarines were disbanded. Well I have possible Marine but stamped intitials are changed, stamped name is R.G. S... and Paramarine was G.R. S... it it possible that he stamped initials in different order? Here is attached pic of patch thread evidence

post-117046-0-56479500-1430548226.jpg

Corpsman_1941

I was looking for some thread evidences of hash marks or cuff strikers and this is what I found :D I think this shape of patch is matching only for parachute striker, there are also some wholes on place where should be chevron, what do you thinkk? Is it possible that this coat belonged to Paramarine from 1st para bn?

Regards

James

post-117046-0-04797000-1430548368.jpg

tarbridge

I would think that this belonged to R.G.Smith...as shown by the 3 stampings.There is no way to defend another name without other circumstances to substantiate.

Corpsman_1941

So maybe it was first owned by paramarine and later by R.G Smith?

There were also other Aussie made I MAC patches besides para and raider.

I don't want to crush your hopes, but it is a long shot.

Corpsman_1941

Well, there was a lot of difference I MAC units and probably each kind of patch was made in Australia... How about cuff striker?

tarbridge

I think this is not the path to try and follow. ..the information cannot be substantiated and you have only one name that has already been disproved as a Raider or Paramarine.

As we know...uniforms were handed down to other Marines...maybe it belonged to a Paramarine once...it depends on what you have planned for the tunic.

Corpsman_1941

I agree, it may have been reissued, and probably name R.G. Smith was stamped by other Marine, it's interesting who owned this uniform first...

Thanks for help!

American Heritage

I would hold on to it and do more research.

The rosters are not perfect. It is definately possible that the roster has the intials transposed or recorded incorrectly. Did you check ancestry? The patch ghost outlines are something special here, though. I once sold 2 uniforms because I could not see the ghost outlines. One ended up being a highlyu decorated Raider uniform and one was a Corpsman uniform re-issued to an officer candidate. And I SOLD them! I should have done more research! Don't make the same mistake I made.

Also....there were other cuff stikers worn besides the parachute.With a name like SMITH its a needle in a Haystack of getting a complete match with out a few other factors.

Corpsman_1941

I chcecked Ancestry, even few times :) no raider, paramarine or any I MAC Marine with name R.G. Smith, just G.R. Smith

Corpsman_1941

I tried to search name which is written in pants waistband, it's garten, also I found small tag and pin inside blouse pocket, there is inkstamp on it's G5416, coud it be a laundry mark?

Corpsman_1941

I can see also PHM2c rate ghost on left right, it's matching for Robert G Smith who was PhM with 2nd engineer and later 2nd amphibian tractor bn, he was killed on Tarawa, could it be his umiform reissued by paramarine ?

I think your wanting it to be a para marine and its not adding up.

Just a guess here but if he was a Pharmacists Mate/Corpsman and KIA Im thinking the uniform may have gotten put back into the system to be reissued after having the insignias removed.The square striker may (Im saying may) be the red cross on the green square.The striker exists on green and have seen it worn prior to making rank class or worn as a unofficially to show he was a part of the Naval medical department.

The correct name is RG Smith. The gear is marked with the Marines name so it can be identified as being his, his having the name incorrect would not allow it to be identified as his.

In addition, uniform items were and still are inspected - for condition, for them having the owners name stamped in them, etc. Highly, highly doubtful the Marine would incorrectly mark his own uniform in light of it having to pass inspection, with their possibly being a consequence for not having it done properly.

Corpsman_1941

I think your wanting it to be a para marine and its not adding up.

Just a guess here but if he was a Pharmacists Mate/Corpsman and KIA Im thinking the uniform may have gotten put back into the system to be reissued after having the insignias removed.The square striker may (Im saying may) be the red cross on the green square.The striker exists on green and have seen it worn prior to making rank class or worn as a unofficially to show he was a part of the Naval medical department.

Sure I would like it to be a paramarine uniform! :) Of course it's not confirmed when he didn't left any name, someone could add patches after war, but KIA Tarawa corpsman is also great!

Btw. Do you mean Hospital apprentice striker?

Corpsman_1941

So let's say I MAC Marine instead "Paramarine", so it seems like first user was Corpsman Killed on Tarawa (actually he is listed as missing in action on November 20th) and later I MAC Marine?

It appears you are trying to find someone to support your theories.

You have a nice uniform named to an RG SMITH.

As others have told you, you cannot make this something it is not. No matter how much you want it to be to a Paramarine or Corpsman, it is not going to happen. Period.

There are simply too many people by that name for you to ever prove who it belonged to or when. Robert G. Smith, Raymond G. Smith, Ralph G. Smith, Reynaldo G. Smith, Richard G. Smith, Reginald G. Smith, Rob G. Smith, Rey G. Smith, Rudy G. Smith, Rudolph G. Smith, R.G. Smith (as in he only had initials), R. Garrett Smith, R. Graves Smith, Riley G. Smith, Ron G. Smith, Romld G. Smith, etc etc ETC.

Do I need to list more?

Absent paperwork which decisively and definitively names this uniform to a certain man, you are not going to prove who it belonged to. You can measure patches all day long, and speculate all day long, but in the end you cannot say it belonged to a Paramarine or Tarawa guy.

So... You have a nice representative uniform just as is. Enjoy it and stop trying to make theories fit facts and facts fit theories. It ain't gonna happen.

It is a nice uniform just like it is and needs no embellishment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hear is the ID:

Corpsman, I don't understand why was this so difficult for you to ID this, Just put in his middle initial and last name and put "IMAC" in the keyword.....I'm not doing this to help you out really, just so you don't try to hock this uniform as a Raider or Paramarine uniform with your questionable research and your desire to make every uniform you own into the greatest war hero in the history of time.....

And there is nothing "Great" about a "KIA Tarawa Corpsman", he wasn't killed and his family suffer so you can have a "Kool Kollectable"...

Personally this is an awesome uniform of a super rare Aviation IMAC uniform..... I really hope you enjoy it at such....

Leonardo

MOS 056 Welder

Robert G Smith Muster Date: Oct 1943 Rank: Private First Class Station: Headquarters And Service Company, Second Aviation Engineer Battalion, Imac

Robert G Smith Muster Date: Apr 1943 Rank: Private First Class Station: Headquarters And Service Co, 2D Aviation, Engineer Bn, Imac, In The Field

The IMAC patch that would go on this jacket...

post-20589-0-70582000-1432052654.jpg

Looks like he had a bunch of different jobs: Postal Clerk, Battalion Runner, welder etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a parachute packer at one which would explain the Parachute specialty.

I don't know why I even bother with this as you'll just say "thank you for your opinion.." then continue to think is a Paramarine uniform....

LF

Here's the only reference to his service number....

post-20589-0-74798000-1432055135.png

I think this thread has run its course. ..the original poster can be contacted by pm if anything else comes to light. This thread is now closed.